Florida | Teen Ink

Florida

By Destiny143 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Destiny143 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Warm, fresh air, and salty smell filled the air.  I was ecstatic.  We would soon be arriving at Grandma’s house. Excited to be in a new state that I had never been to before, I was so anxious to get to the ocean.  I had never been to one, and I wanted to go as soon as we arrived there.  As we were on our way to the ocean, there were many big buildings, new stores, bright green palm trees, and everything was very sunny.  I also noticed many homeless people, who all looked neglected.  It broke my heart.  ‘I feel really bad for them,’ I thought. My mom said nine out of ten times they just want the money for drugs.  When my mom told me the truth, it was like a bad taste on my tongue.  We kept on driving, and we arrived at the ocean, which was beyond beautiful.  I’ve never seen something so pretty in my life.  I loved where the sky met the ocean, and the clouds looked like balls of cotton.  A little girl was selling seashells down by the seashore.  However, I became very panicky because I had never been to the ocean before, and I heard rumors about shark attacks, which made me very jumpy. 

After we left the beach, we went out to dinner.  Everything was so bright and welcoming.  The buildings gleamed like jewels in the sun. We didn’t know what restaurant to pick because they all looked so interesting.  We found a little shack on the beach; my grandma said they had the best seafood in town!  We ate there, and it was delicious.  After finished eating, we went back to my grandma’s house.  Exhausted, I jumped into my grandma’s big bed.  We all went to sleep because had an early morning the next day.

We woke up bright and early to go to the zoo.  There were so many animals there that I had never seen in my life.  They had flamingos, and we had the opportunity to feed them.  It was funny how they stood on one leg!  There was a station where people could hold big birds.  I would not hold one because I was too afraid, but my mom did.  My mom said, “Come on.  Just try it!”  I was too much of a chicken to let a huge bird sit on my shoulder.  My grandma found a station where they let anyone hold baby alligators.  They had their mouths tapped shut, but I still didn’t want to hold it.  I was way too horrified.

The zoo was very fun.  After we were done at the zoo, we went to the pier.  We had to walk a long bridge to get out to the island.  It was amazing.  There was a bunch of shops and different kind of food places.  When we walked out on the edge of the boat, we could look as far out into the ocean as the eye could see.  We saw many of dolphins jumping in and out of the water.  I won’t soon forget the warm, fresh salty air, the ocean of Florida, and the time spent with my grandma.