Swallow that Silence | Teen Ink

Swallow that Silence

By zyc990905 BRONZE, Waltham, Massachusetts
zyc990905 BRONZE, Waltham, Massachusetts

In our entire world there are approximately 7 billion people. Each of us has different nature, different hobbies. However there is one thing that can never be changed. All of us were born by our mothers. However not everyone has a good mom. I think I am so lucky that I have such a good mom. When I was small, my mom left her job and looked after me for a lot of years. As a mom, she did all kinds of things that mom can do for me.

My mom works hard every day. She goes to work 8 am in the morning, and come back on 6 pm in the normal days. Sometimes even later. She works so hard. My mom is also a philanthropist. She helps about 12 disadvantaged children go to school. Because of her kindness and hard work when you read the newspapers in my hometown, You can always see my mother. Until now I also remember a lot of her shadows clearly, deeply in my mind. I am so proud of my mother.

I remember once, when I was young, there was a piano show in my hometown's theater. My mom drove me to watch that show. That was the first time that I saw the piano show, I immersed in that melody softly just like the scent of lilac. After that I wished one wish to my mom: I want to play the piano. After some thinking, my mom accepted my wish. After one month, I began to play the piano with my piano teacher. I have studied playing for 8 years. During these 8 years, my mom went to the class with me all the time. She cared about me so much. Also she said to me when I improved even just a little bit, she would be happy so much. I also changed a lot in these eight years.

However, like everyone, make mistakes. During this, I tried to stop playing the piano. But my mom never allowed me to stop it. She just said:" You will know why my son." Because of this I made some trouble with my mother. During that time, we didn't speak to each other at all. However I still trusted her. I always think about that words “ You will know why my son.” which she said before.

Once my mom came to tell me that my father and she made a decision for me: I will go to America to study. At first I just thought they were kidding. I didn't trust my mom will let me go to that far area to just study. It was unthinkable. It was just study. I could also do that in China. However later my mom became more serious. I realized that they are not kidding. I had a lot of thoughts but the only thing I can do is to accept it even though I don't want to go at all. However it lets me understand the meaning of my mother's words a lot: " you will know why my son."

On August 15th, 2014, my mom drove me to the Airport. Before I went to have the security check in the airport. My mom gave me the final advise: don't be afraid of my parents, just pay attention to study. After that she gave me a deep hug. She told me it's time to go. At that moment I knew both of us have too many words to say. We wanted to be together all the time. However we chose to hide emotional words. Because I knew my mom don't want me to miss family a lot. I felt a pricking inside my heart. My mom chose to turn around. Even though I went through security, I looked back. I saw her try to wipe away her tears. I cried at that time. It was the first time that I knew my mom and I can be this sentimental.

After the plane departed from the airport, I fell asleep because all of the images in my brain are my mom- what she looked like before, what she looked at that moment. Also I can't even imagine what she looks at that time also in the future. In my dream, I released my boundless memory heartily. It was really painful. However I still learnt a lot from that.

After 17 hours, I arrived in Boston. I suddenly realized what is the meaning of my mother's words:" you will know why my son." I knew why she decided to let me come to America to study. Even though she grieved a lot, that's the strongest love that parents can give to us. They can lose everything except me. However because my parents want me to have a good future in the rest of my life. They should make the decision: let me study toughly or let me go. Finally because they want me to be happy in the future, they decided to receive that pain by themselves. That's why release is the best love that parents can give us.

On December 21st, 2014, I went back to China. I was so happy that I can see my mom and my father quickly. However my father told me that my mom got cancer and she was still in the hospital. At that time, I thought maybe that's what people are. Sometimes we will never treasure things until we lose them. I regretted conflicted with my mother before. I missed my mom with happiness on her face. I could do nothing but to adapt the truth. After 2 hours of driving, I arrived in the hospital. I ran to my mother's room. In my eyesight was my weak mom again. But this time the weak is different than the first time. The weak wasn't come from the heart. I could just feel it from outside. This time my heart hurt a lot. I couldn't think more. I walked to my mom silently. I held tight to my mother's hand, I kissed it. "I won't leave you any more" I said to my mom. My mom opened her eyes toughly. She tried her best to make a beautiful smile on her face and said " Honey finally you came back." At that moment I didn't feel that my mom is an acquaintance instead she was like an unfamiliar acquaintance to me.

Mom, thank you for letting me come to this world. You did too much work, it's time to let me show filial respect for you. At this time I hope you can hear it. However you can't because I am far away from you. Also I don't hope you to hear it. Because when you know what I wrote. You will worry about my study again. So I would like this writing to stay again in my heart. Again and again, again and again. My family is like one boat floating on the sea silently, sometimes up, sometimes down. However we still towards to our cozy future, moves slowly and softly so you are able to continue having a wonderful dream. “So what about my self?” I will still swallow this silence slowly and softly.