How to make the friends | Teen Ink

How to make the friends

By Mami.H BRONZE, Waltham, Massachusetts
Mami.H BRONZE, Waltham, Massachusetts

In September 2013, I moved to Minnesota with my friend, Yuri, who went same school in Florida with me. The school in Minnesota was boarding school so we stayed in dormitory. There were around 400 people that included both day students and boarding students. Most of day students were American and most of dormitory students were Asian. It was first time living with friends for me. My English improved though it was not still enough to speak and listen well. But I could make some friends easily in the dormitory because they were Asian so they had similar culture and similar accent on English to me so I could understand them. I was so excited to go to the school and meet my new friends.

At the first day of school, I met many new people who are native English speaker. They spoke really fast than I had ever listened. I couldn't catch most of information that day because of both language and culture issues. Listening and responding English were hard and made me very depress. I could make only a few friends in the school after one month passed. I thought I was just a little shy but actually I was judging people by their attitude and appearance and I was afraid that they were judging me. I was just waiting for someone to talk to me but no one did. I also struggled in the dormitory life. Most of my friends were Korean and they spoke their language most time so I was very fed up. When I realized these things, half of school term was done. It was too late to change my personality. But I wanted something to change. I decided to make new life by going to another school the next year. I applied to one school that I thought it was going to fit me and they accepted me.
?In September 2014, my new life started again. I became junior and had much work to do. But I had to make new friends. This was second year staying in America for me so my English was getting much better. One of new things I did to change my life was to say “Hi” to everyone. I had never done this because I thought it was weird. Other thing was that I started trying to be friendly and not judging the American. I realized how I acted made the impressions people more than how I talked. So when I talked to people, I kept smiling as much as possible. Some people might have thought I was weird but I didn't care about it. I didn't care even though people say bad things about me. I just got a confident myself. These things made me more friends and more positive mind than before.

I learned the difference in way of thinking. Naturally the American students and I grew up different in culture so the cultural problems must have happened. I learned many things by spending time with my friends. To make many friends changed me very positively and gave me good ideas that made my life better. The good ideas made a new field of vision.