7th Grade Triumph | Teen Ink

7th Grade Triumph

By MiguelC BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
MiguelC BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

Both of us are panting with sweat dripping from our brows. “1, 2, 3,” *Boom* the ref slams the mat. This was the center of my middle school life. The feel and sound of the wrestling mat during the practices and meets. In my 6th grade year my dad (a former wrestler) wanted me to do it just this year. So me being 5 ft tall and 75 lb, skinny me, nervously signed up and was completely beat up during the season, I didn’t win a single match.

But it dragged me along in 7th grade. I loved the intense practices, wrestling was so much fun to me because it was a way to get in awesome shape. It was a anger reliever, and had a wide range of physical workouts which I desperately needed.  We had our first wrestling meet in 2 weeks. When I walked into the slightly used upper gym I was extremely excited to start.  My team and I had to bring up about 40 metal folding chairs and designate someone to help coach mop the mat. Today we were going against Forsythe at home, which meant we had to win.

I had grew since 6th grade, now 4 inches taller with 10 more pounds and a season of experience, and a hungry but nervous desire to really be the one on the mat. It was a satisfying feeling, after of course getting over the attention. You and your opponent in the center of a room challenging each others mental and physical boundaries, with people of all different sizes and ages cheering you on and telling you what to do. But its a pointless attempt because the tight headgear nearly made every loud voice a shrill scream. It was just amazing to feel again, but when Forsythe walked in I always try to find my opponent and watch how they practice so I know what to expect.

Then after the few exhibition matches and one person before me its my turn. I check in with the people at the scoreboard and I jump out to the middle of the mat. He is a scrawny white kid with dark brown hair. I shake his hand and start circling him, I study him, watching his eyes and how he handles himself. Then I make a shot in at his legs and start the fun that I’ve been craving. I have a big smile on my face and I dont stop wrestling. I manage him down to his stomach and I chuckle. This kid put up a fight but I'm not gonna make it an easy fight, I get my arm under his shoulder and I put my hand of the back of his head, getting ready to pin him. I start prying him over to his back, using all muscle now. Then I lock in my arm with the half-nelson. I hold him here, still in the zone but still having fun. I heard the ref counting down for the pin,  I was the one on top. For a split second I thought I lost like I did in 6th grade, but then I realized that I had won my first match. The joy was so explosive I popped off of my opponent and punch the air. I mean what else can you do when you are that happy? As usual I shook the hand of the opposing coach and embraced my coaches. Then I go out in the hallway to start believing that I had pinned someone, I did my usual sprints after a match still shaking.

It is about me in my middle school year winning my first wrestling match.