My Room | Teen Ink

My Room

By Biblio BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Biblio BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

"I think I would like to be skinny, but I'd much rather be eating a cake!"

If you were to look in my room, you would see a tornado of nearly every aspect of my life.

On my desk, there is a keyboard with a “Disney Collection” book propped in front of it. Right behind it, my wooden music stand sits with flute music strewn across it. I have it strategically placed so I’m able to switch between the two instruments by merely turning in my swivel chair. A pea-green ukulele I have been teaching myself to play is laying on the foot of my bed. That’s the musical section.

A media center is pressed against the right wall of my room. It is overflowing with the portion of my library I just cannot stop re-reading. My Nook Color is on my bed, next to my laptop. Right in front of the foot of my bed, there is a cushioned box/seat that I’ve filled with all of the Harry Potter books—they have each been read a total of seventeen times and have been my best friends since the second grade. That’s the bookworm part of my room.

Then, right next to the head of my bed you see an electrical outlet. Currently, only my green radio-clock and phone charger are plugged in but underneath there is a nest of miscellaneous cords. Usually my nights are spent either typing or reading; which is why it was a must-have for the outlet to be well-within reach of my bed. That’s my electronic corner.

On the wall my bed is pushed against, you notice a massive grid of pictures.  That was a late-night project my mom and I decided to do a while ago. You’ll notice some of the pictures are missing and there are blank rectangles showing my blue wall. Some of them have fallen down, while others I decided to frame because they meant so much to me. A Nikon D5000 is sitting under my desk in its murky green camera bag. The camera is an old one of my mom’s that she gave me so that I could learn to document life as perfectly as she did. That’s my photography region.

Also sitting on my desk, next to my keyboard, there are two pictures of me and my field hockey team. You see that right above the head of my bed a certificate for “Most Improved on the Team” is taped up, right under a field-hockey themed ornament. My dirty, orange cleats are laying in the bottom of my closet and I have three mouthguards on top of my media center/library. You also see there are two drawstring bags—one Under Amour and the other Adidas—that are hanging on the door of my closet, obviously for water bottles, hair ties, and other sports necessities. A stray pink field hockey ball is laying by my door. That would be my field hockey district.

Finally, you find a Smithsonian tote. It’s filled to the brim with balls of yarn, knitting and crocheting needles. Half-finished projects such as scarves and amigurumi dolls are also thrown in. If you look to my doorknob you would also see a soft-pink crocheted scarf I have been trying to mimic hanging from it. A huge bag of stuffing leans up against the bag of yarn. That’s my craft department.

As stated before, my room shows nearly all of the subdivisions of my life. I am musical, and I love to make new crafts. I am a bookworm, yet I am also an avid field hockey player. Photography is a major interest, coupled with my electronics. All you have to do is take a thorough look in my room to see what my interests are, for I have no shame and don’t hide them. Just by peeking through the half-open door you will be able to see what kind of a person I am, and what I enjoy in life. And I’m okay with that.