first day of band | Teen Ink

first day of band

By bloopbloop BRONZE, Texas, Hawaii
bloopbloop BRONZE, Texas, Hawaii

"the roof is not my child but i will raise it"

“Mom when are you going to get my saxophone
I’ve been waiting for like a month.” I ask
“You asked me to get it yesterday.” she replies
“I’ll get it tomorrow now leave me alone.”
“Don’t forget because you always forget.”
“I won't now go away.”
   The next day I came home and sitting on the table is a big black box and I ran over to it and opened it as fast as I could and inside was a shiny golden saxophone. I tried to put it together with no success the reed ended up an inch off the mouthpiece so I waited to play tell the next day in band.
   “Don’t get your instruments out yet first I’m going to explain how to put each instrument together.” Mr. Joseph says. I go and sit down in the tenor section and after what seems like forever he finally gets to tenor and I realize that the reed should have been even with the mouthpiece. Then he lets us go put our instruments together this time i carefully put the reed so it was aligned with mouthpiece.
   On my way back to my seat I was amazed at the shining brass tubas and the silver flutes and the golden trumpets.
When we got back to our seats he asked us if we could all make a sound yet and we all had except a couple of people so he said that he was going to record our first sound as a whole band. When all played it sounded horrible but we didn't care because to us it was cool we were even making a sound.
     Next we learned how to play the first 5 notes. “Open your books to page 4.” Mr. Joseph said. On page 4 we learned how to play a half note and we learned the notes G, F, E, D, and C. we also learned how to play a repeat.
   The last thing Mr. Joseph taught us on the first day was how to play rolling along. It was really cool because he taught us the notes and how to put them together into a song
   In the end of the first day of band I realized that when you put your mind to something you can do incredible things. It’s now been 2 years since I started band and we can do incredible things with our instruments know. One of the best parts about band is it’s a never ending challenge and you can always get better there is no limit to what you can do