Catman & Robin | Teen Ink

Catman & Robin

January 27, 2015
By iCarley SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
iCarley SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have always been more of a dog person, especially since I grew up around dogs all the time. Even when I got my first cat, I still adored my canine friends. But it’s a different story about my second cat, especially over this past year.

My cat has always been a little ‘off’, he’s not the type to be held in one’s arms for more  than five seconds without clawing and scratching. Although, he is a great cuddler. All Catman does is sleep. He’ll sleep for hours and hours and when he gets up, it’s to move somewhere else to sleep. Eventually, he’ll go outside and bring us something gruesome.
He’s gorgeous with the most sleek gray-and-white marbled fur. He has a tail as long as his body. His face is just a little smushed in so he looks vaguely like a lion and his eyes, his eyes are a bright amber-yellow color. Now, combine all of those characteristics and you have Catman. Catman was not the first choice of names that we had had for him like, Tom, Snappy, and even Catface.
Over this past summer, Catman and I spent a lot of time together. We would spend cool starry nights together sitting on my roof while I would drink tea. The first time my family saw him on the roof we  all freaked out, thinking that he was going to fall. Over time, I realized that this cat was a weird source of positivity, almost relieving me of all of my anxieties.
He likes to play with my German Shepherd who mainly just spins around, more often than not. It’s actually kind of funny to watch them. One time, Catman got his paw stuck in the dog’s mouth. Recently, they’ve stopped playing as much because Catman plays with the other cats.
I find myself appreciating this cat more and more each day. He welcomes me when I get home after school, he sleeps on my bed almost everyday, and he even comes on walks with me and my dog, although he does try to cross the highway with us too.
Even though my brother and I fight over him all the time, I couldn’t be more happy that Catman has been in my life for almost two years. After all we’ve been through I’ve learned that a pet isn’t just an animal you live with, but rather a lifelong companion.