Doing the Right Thing | Teen Ink

Doing the Right Thing

January 14, 2015
By dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If things are not going right... Go left.


For five months my partner and I trained assiduously for the Mystery Architecture event of the State Science Olympiad Competition, meeting every week to practice and discuss strategies. We received medals for placing in the top in earlier rounds of the competition. When we entered the final round that day, we were determined to win.
In under 50 minutes, we were to build a candle-holding “lighthouse” out of straws and paper and test its strength in front of an industrial fan. After a brief discussion I immediately began building the structure with my partner, busily assembling different components according to our design. Five months of extensive practice allowed us to work with wordless cooperation and efficiency, and we finished the construction in a mere half hour. Much to our joy, our “lighthouse” held fast against the strong wind.
I could barely conceal a smug grin as I watched the structures from the other teams topple during the trial tests. My partner and I exchanged silent nods. We were going to win. I relaxed, cherishing the success, and glanced over the rules for today’s Mystery Architecture event. “We did it!” I told myself, “we will be receiving the--”
I stared at an inconspicuous sentence on the rule sheet which was barely noticeable in the sea of letters. Even the judge had forgotten to mention the rule at the beginning of the event. “The candle must not be taped on to the structure,” it read. I turned my eyes to our construction, and there it was--three strips of blue tape, securing the candle to the top.
My mind was numb with anxiety. We could have wrapped a rubber band around it instead... Or a string… or anything but tape! Looking at my partner, I saw his stunned expression which must have mirrored mine. He had come to the same conclusion.
The judge was still not aware of the unintended infringement. If we kept quiet, we could easily walk away with the gold medal in our hands. We could also easily alter our structure to comply to the rules. We deserved to win.
Yet doing so would violate our personal morals. Such an act would detract the honor from the success. As contestants of this event we were responsible for being honest and fair, regardless of the results.
The judge was surprised as my partner and I informed him of our mistake, commending us for our sportsmanship. Leaving Mystery Architecture event without medals, we felt somewhat disappointed. Nevertheless we never regretted our decision. We knew we did the right thing.


The author's comments:

This story was based on my experience in the state round of the Science Olympiad competition.