"To Take" | Teen Ink

"To Take"

By keegan clancy BRONZE, Clarkston, Idaho
keegan clancy BRONZE, Clarkston, Idaho

The Cold Atlantic air dances across my face, as I get out of the rental car, “Reece!” I shout “Get up!”  My brother Reece does not move still feeling the effects of Ireland's Pubs from last night.
“No… you guys go” he says as if all of his energy has been drained from his body.
“Suit yourself “my other brother Jake says as he slams the car door without any consideration of Reese's throbbing head.
“shall we” my mom says, and we begin to walk down this path made by the stomping feet of the curious people who wish to see the view from the top of a giant rock formation at the end of the peninsula.
With every step the wind battles are movements and cools are joints so that they start to ache, but for some reason the walk is still enjoyable. Each step goes beyond the pain, there's a sense of adventure that goes along with our journey. Every step feels like I’ve overcame a great obstacle.
“Hey, keep up?”  Jake always being outgoing, adventurous, and competitive he has been a good influence on me,  we leave my mom behind as we start to run for the rocky outcrop on top of the hill. The terrain, being Ireland was filled with thorns and covered by rocks, we jump from rock to rock finding our own way to the outcrop. Once we reach our destination we begin climbing, one ledge after another we ascend the fortress of rock that acts like sandpaper, taking a little skin here and there. We reach the top and stand in awe of the view.
Huge green rolling hills, with mountains behind them, and to our rear the Atlantic Ocean. I stand there soaking it all in, smelling the air, feeling the ground, and observing the view. I believe that each and every experience is something to be hade, each day a new opportunity to shape the very fabric of who you are  , and this day was full of them! When I was done, I had this urge to explore, to find a view that no one has experienced before, I climbed back down and ran to the edge of the peninsula, my mom and brother far behind just walk in my direction. I stop as soon as I come upon a rock sticking out the side of the cliff, I look at it “is this a good idea?” I mutter, of course it is! I look back just in time for my mom to see what I was about to do, “no!” she yells disapproving of my great idea, I look back at the rock and take my first step on to it, again my mom yells “no! Get off of there!” I laugh and continue to walk off the edge and over the aqua blue water. I look back one more time to see my disapproving mom taking a picture! That still makes me laugh, I don't understand her.
The crashing waves turn white when they explode against the cliffs below. I center myself and lift a leg off the ground, and raise my arms to my side, just to freak out my mom.  I take in the moment with a cooling breath that fills my body and clears my mind. I stand there and take it all in, the cold wind coming from the ocean and making the wildflowers dance showing their immense beauty, the grass shimmering in the light, and the waves rolling beneath me. I slowly lower my leg, and very carefully back off the rock having already taken my moment, no need to scare my mom further, when we get back to the car, Reece still asleep laid lame, The only thing he saw was the back side of his eyelids, and therefore the only thing changed about Reece, was his headache.

My trip to Ireland.