The Gift I Have Been Waiting For | Teen Ink

The Gift I Have Been Waiting For

I was ten and it was my birthday. I was sitting at the table at home doing my math homework and I remember that it was really hard, I was just sitting there then all of a sudden I hear a little woof, so I spun around in my chair and to my surprise there was a little puppy in the other room sitting and waging it`s little tail. The puppy was a black lab with a white spot on its chest, it was a boy. It had floppy ears and was really soft and fluffy, he was just an all around cute puppy. My mom said I couldn’t play with him until I finished my math homework so I ran back to the table and rushed through the homework so I could play with my new puppy.
After I finished my homework I put on my shoes tied the laces, grabbed my hat and jacket and brought the puppy outside to play with him, we played fetch, chase, and others for about two hours until my mom told me I had to come back inside. I took of all of my outside clothes and shoes, I washed my hands and got ready for dinner.
The next day we were in the car driving around town and I was coming up with names for the puppy, my heart was set on Hubble but everyone said that was a dumb name so we kept thinking… spot, rough, D.O.G, fluffy. The name we ended up giving him was Fez, If you are wondering how did I come up with Fez, it is really easy actually, I got the name from a character off a TV show called that 70`s show. Fez is from a different continent and he is really weird just like my dog so it was perfect for him. Everyone liked that name so we stuck with it.
Now it has been about a year or two, and Fez is getting bigger, now I can’t pick him up anymore because he is too heavy and big now, he is losing his cuteness from when he was a puppy. But I love him the same because he is my dog and I will take care of him until he dies. He was the gift I have been waiting for, and he is all mine.