A Bloody Arrow | Teen Ink

A Bloody Arrow

October 28, 2014
By Anonymous

Last year I shot an awesome 5 point puck with my bow. It was cool because it was my first buck with my bow. It all happened on a cold Monday morning. I was sitting in my dad’s stand and he was sitting in mine. I told him that I wanted to sit in his stand today because he just shot one out of his stand the night before, so he let me. The deer was walking toward me at about 9:30 in the morning.
Then when I seen that it was a buck it was like the whole world was moving in slow motion, even the deer. But when the deer got close to me I drew my bow back and got ready to shoot the buck. But as soon as I drew back the deer was behind a tree. And it felt like the deer just stopped behind the tree.
Everything just stopped again. And it felt like the deer was never going to come out. But it did. And as soon as it got into the opening. I let the arrow fly through the air toward the deer. I watched the arrow fly right toward the deer. And it hit it right in the lungs. But at first I thought I missed it because it just stood there like nothing happened.
But a few seconds later the deer jolted into a dead sprint running for its life. But it was too late. Because I already shot it. I was so excited; I got this thing called buck fever. And buck fever is when you shoot a deer your whole body just starts shaking and it is hard to talk. So I just sat back down in the tree stand so that I would not fall out.
Soon the buck fever wore off, then about 45 minutes later me and my dad got out of are stands and we got back together at the stand that I shot my buck out of. When we did that my dad and I started tracking the deer. And when we did there was a lot of blood and I knew right then that we were going to find this deer. So we keep following the blood trail.
After a few minutes of tracking I saw something lying down. And it was my buck that I just shot. My dad and I were so excited. So we picked up a stick and tossed it toward the deer to make sure that it was dead, and it was. So we walked up to it and I was shaking again because I was so excited. And I kneeled down next to the deer and picked up its rack. And my dad took my picture with it.
Now that we found it we had to walk all the way back to the truck and it is like a 1 mile walk. But when we got back to the truck we just drove through the field up were my deer died. Then we got the deer cart out of the truck and walked back to the deer. Then we put the deer on the cart and dragged it out of the woods into the field do that we could gut it and take it home to wash the blood out of it, and then we had to take the deer to the deer processors so that we could get it turned into meat so we can eat it.
About a week later we got a call from the deer processer saying that my deer was done. And we can pick up the meat when we want to. So my mom, dad, my friend gage, and I all went in my mom’s truck and went to pick up the meat.
And that is the memory that my dad and I will never forget.