My First Pair of Wheels | Teen Ink

My First Pair of Wheels

By bmxbay070 BRONZE, Concord, Michigan
bmxbay070 BRONZE, Concord, Michigan

With the flashing of my Gameboy screen and with the cry of a pidgey the battle began. With my charmander as my battle partner I made the first move, I chose Ember, the screen was lit up with fire and in one foul swoop I won with a knock out hit.
I look up from my game to see my dad’s truck pull into the drive way. In excitement I rushed to the door to see him but in a great surprise I see the tops of handle bars in the back of the truck. He signals me to come outside, so I threw on my shoes and rushed out the door. He tells me to go look in the back of the truck. I go around the truck and climb in the back. To my amazement there was a little blue dirt bike. Brand new clean as a whistle. I look to my dad and he says “it’s yours, do you want to ride it”. With a stupid look on my face I nod and rush inside to put on my riding gear. First my socks, then my knee pads and my pants and jersey, then my chest protector, the neck brace and helmet, and finally my gloves. I was ready to ride.
With the thud of my boots on every wooden step I climb it sounds like an elephant is coming up from the basement. What felt like a decade, I finally got to the top of the stairs and leave the house to go ride my new dirt bike. When I get out the door I see that my dad has already gotten the dirt bike out if the truck and he has it sitting their ready for me to ride. I swing my leg over the bike and my dad begins running me through on how to ride it. Basically he showed me where the throttle and brakes are and said that’s all I have to worry about. Being only three years old he put training wheels on it so I wouldn’t be able to fall over. He starts the bike and off I go. When you first take off on a dirt bike, it’s kind of scary but when you have training wheels there is that small insurance that you not going to fall over. It feels like I’m going really fast but I’m actually going about 3 miles an hour. I ride back and forth in a really big circle from my yard to my grandma’s yard and back. I probably have been riding for about an hour and I was really tired. There is a well in the middle of our yard surrounded by bricks. I was riding back in to put the bike away and I decided that I wanted to ride around the well. I began turning and my left training wheel hit the brick and the bike flipped. This was the first crash of many to come.

I have rode dirt bikes for 8 years.