Effort Is The Key To Success | Teen Ink

Effort Is The Key To Success

October 24, 2014
By JJRAYMO16 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
JJRAYMO16 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“You need to get a job.” Recited my mom. Why does getting a job take so much effort? Why must I get into my midnight blue 2013 Chevy Cruze to drive around to places I don’t want to be? My parents have been hounding me to get a job and all I have been doing is sitting on the couch watching Real Madrid destroy every team in their path and conditioning for the upcoming soccer tryouts in August. Yes I was enjoying my summer until my wonderful parents got on my case to find a job. One thing I learn from parents is they don’t give up. Not one day of the week had passed without them nagging me to get a job. I was so fed up from all the yelling and commanding that I actually spent time to go out and apply at almost every place in Clarkston that were accepting applications. Just my luck, Kruse and Muer gives me a ring asking if I can dishwash this upcoming weekend. I will never forget that miserable Saturday afternoon. The anxiousness building before I left my house worrying if I was going to mess up on the first day. Sure enough, it panned out the way I had pictured it in my head. I had shattered three wine glasses and overfilled the sink full of dishes. My head was going to explode. I have never been pushed past my breaking point so badly in my life. I wanted to raise the white flag and call it a day. The first day is always the worst. The stress that built up made me ask myself if I was doing a good job. The constant perspiration that dripped out of my body from working in the steam filled kitchen. In response, yes, yes the first day of work is miserable.  As multiple days pass it gets easier each time and I slowly begin to enjoy the job a little bit better knowing more people and having an awesome boss. After weeks of waiting for my pay check I had finally been paid. Never have I ever felt so accomplished in my life. The realization that I made it through a few weeks of work without giving up was a feeling like no other. The feeling was like the rush you feel when you reach the biggest drop on the scariest roller coaster you have ever been on-the most amazing part. Sure my parents got on my nerves for the longest time but in the end, this experience has changed me. I now believe effort is the key to success. Without effort, what do we achieve? It is easier for me to make the effort to get a job knowing that in the end you will be rewarded.