Bad Memories | Teen Ink

Bad Memories

October 24, 2014
By kendalxlb62 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
kendalxlb62 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some of my favorite memories come from terrible ones. When you go through a dreadful experience it tends to stick more in your head, which is exactly what happened to me.
In my 16 years of life on this planet, i have never been in a situation where i was stuck somewhere i wasn't familiar with, for a very long amount of time, until i was treading through Dallas/ Fort Worth international airport with my mom and my brother.
We had hellishly heavy luggage dragging behind us and our hands and clothes smelled like airplane bathroom soap and cheap peanuts. The trip from Terminal C to the rental car place was worse than the flight there. I kept reaching up to the back of my neck to scratch it. The tag from my shirt was sticking to my neck. Taking two separate buses and walking at least a half a mile carrying half our closet in luggage wasn't exactly how i wanted to spend my day. Not to mention it was 85 degrees and 70% humidity outside. The clouds obviously knew what was up (no pun intended) because there wasn't one in sight.
After finally acquiring a rental car, we made our way to 6 flags of Dallas. I pulled out my phone to search for directions. it took me 4 minutes to pull up the address and have my crappy, 4s white iphone, with a agonizingly slow data plan, to pull up the map. My mother had bought the tickets three weeks prior to us arriving so not even she could have known the horrible event to happen next.
My mother handed the parking guy fifteen dollars for extra close parking to the amusement park.
We walked in and searched for a stand to buy water.
Surprisingly the water was $3.00 a bottle which was a ridiculous amount of money, but we paid the guy anyway because nothing tasted better than cold water in the heat we were in.
It took us ten minutes to agree on the first ride because of course my brother was super picky on what we needed to go on first (like it mattered at all).
Another ten minutes went by and we were next in line for this weird spinny ride thing that apparently looked humorous to my mom and brother. I could see the rusty old screws and bolts on the platform. I decided then that it didn't look very humorous 
While waiting in the dreaded line of a ride i didn't even want to be on, a long, exaggerated moan escaped my brothers mouth. He proceeded to grumble, “ I really have to go to the bathroom mom.” and if looks could kill my mom would be #1 on americas most wanted list.
We squeezed our way through ropes and poles separating pi**ed off people. I laughed to myself and thought, “same random smelly people. same.”  We meandered to the bathroom and as quickly as we could flushed, washed, and shuffled back to the line.
But to our surprise the line was closed. Everyone on the ride was gone. Everyone on all the rides were gone.
The streets of the park flooded with people.
And soon after, the streets of the park were flooded with rain.
Like an electric charge the lightning gave life to the sky, and faint yelps could be heard from almost anywhere you went.
Being in a situation where i was stuck somewhere i wasn't familiar with, for a very long amount of time happened to also be a waste of money.
We made our way through the park, back to the entrance, then back to our polished, coruscated bright red rental car.
If i learned anything that day it would be to always check the weather before going anywhere, because it really sucked to have gone all that way for nothing, and be wet and stinky for the rest of the day.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article because I had to.