Open Up | Teen Ink

Open Up

By Katie Burton BRONZE, Belton, Missouri
Katie Burton BRONZE, Belton, Missouri

It was the middle of second grade when I moved to Belton. I was a shy kid, not really talking much. When I got up in the morning I pleaded for my mom not to make me go to school, but she just responded by making me get ready. When I was finally done dressing my mom ushered me out the door with an "I love you."

I stood at the cold bus stop, it was very awkward to the fact that I knew no one. Two girls came over to me; they both seemed pretty preppy and jumpy. One of the two, who had blond hair, introduced herself as Jasmine. The other girl said she was Bri. She had dark brown hair and was pretty tall.  Me and my new friends sat together in a bus seat and talked non-stop. Sadly, we were in separate classes.

I inched into Mrs.Smith's room and stood in a corner near a shiny sink surrounded with hand soaps and Germ-X. I didn't sit in a seat, not knowing if they were assigned. Soon after more and more people filled the room, each laughing and playing with others. I stood in my corner silently, not wanting to be noticed.

Mrs. Smith called my name on the roll and I muttered a small here. Everyone turned their heads to look at me. Suddenly my feet became very interesting. People were whispering and talking while I played with the hem of my black sweater and stared at my small black flats. I started twisting and playing with my hair, a nervous habit I've had all of my life. I was taken out of my trance by the Mrs.Smith.

"You may sit here" she smiled, pointing to an empty chair in a group of 4 desks. I slowly sulked over, my feet dragging across the floor.

I didn't really talk very much that day. At luch I sat at the very end of the table, where nobody really sits. I nibbled on my food, not really hungry. At recess I sat on the benches, watching the other kids play. Until a girl in my class, Kacey, came over to me.

"Do you want to play with me?" She asked me quietly.

"Sure, I guess" I responded quietly, following her to the playground. We ran around laughing and smiling, pretending and using our imaginations. For the first time today I felt like I was having fun. Kacey told me that we should be friends and I told her we can.

The rest of the day I talked and talked, made a whole bunch of new friends, and even found a 'group' that I could always hang around. I learned to love Belton and start opening up. To this day I am still really good friends with Kacey, Jasmine, and Bri. I even have a really cool group of good friends. At first I hated moving, but now I don't regret a thing!

I learned to open up. I don't do it all the time but I've gotten better at it.