My Little Mother | Teen Ink

My Little Mother

October 16, 2014
By Anonymous

     It was late at night,  I was in my apartment’s living room, it was so late that the only light the window let in was the light from the lamp outside.  Even though all the lights were on I felt like I was in the dark as if it were the middle of the night.  I was about to drift off to sleep but every time I leaned my head against my glass desk about to drift off, the desks smooth, cold, like snow against my skin would wake me up and I’d get back to work.  I was writing furiously into my ELA notebook in a hurry, but I just couldn’t stay awake, I was so tired. 
     I looked at the clock and noticed I had ten minutes till I needed to go to Tae Kwon Do (Korean martial arts)!  I don’t love going to Tae Kwon Do when I have lots of homework because that means that I’m going to have to stay up late and that is something I really didn’t want to do.  I started thinking of ways to get out of it, I thought of two reasons why I shouldn’t go A because I’m not done with my homework, and B because I really, really, really, didn’t want to!  I leaned back in my chair, thinking about what I should do, I decided to just hope that my mom would forget, she almost did there was only another five minutes, but just then a voice from the other room shouted…
      “Doesn’t Melanie have to go to Tae Kwon Do?!” it said in a teasing way.
      Who said that, I thought to myself having a good idea of who said it.  I got so mad when my sister came into the room and repeated herself as she pushed her bangs out of her glasses so she could see, my sister was a cute little nine year old whose bangs were way too long like a sheepdog with hair so long it couldn’t see, also she was really skinny, I mean really, really skinny.
      “Do you have Tae Kwon Do, or not?”
       She crossed her arms and made a face that said,  yeah I just said that and you can’t do anything about it.  She’s been acting like this a lot lately, acting like she’s the boss of me and I was fed up with it today, I’m putting my foot down!
     “Gee thanks MOM, should I do your homework before I go?!”  I shouted sarcastically.
     After I said that I felt really bad I thought she was going to cry or have a fit or something,  I was about to explode, was she messing with me?  Not doing anything knowing it would drive me crazy?  I thought to myself.
     “Thats not nice, Melanie,” my sister said so calmly that her bangs did not move an inch out of place.
      It was like she was expecting an apology but I wasn’t going to because first she had no reaction and now she wants pity?!  Oh no, thats not how it works.
      “Well should I call you boss, since you want to boss me around like my mom!  Or do you prefer that I call you mother?!”  I screamed out of anger I was so full of rage I felt if I was any more angry that my head would look like a big tomato.
      I jumped out of my chair and stomped passed my sister and out of the room, I HAD to go get ready for dumb Tae Kwon Do, why would she do this?, I thought to myself.  Just then I saw that I was going to be late for Tae Kwon Do, good, I thought to myself, I wasn’t planning on going at all  anyway.  I wasn’t going to try and get out of going, my mom scolded us about fighting and that was a sign that she was in no mood for me and my schemes.  Two minutes later I was gone.
      The whole way to Tae Kwon Do I couldn’t stop thinking about the fight, I loved my sister and I hated it when we fought because it reminded me that there's a chance that when we get older we could end up shutting each other out completely that is why I try not to hold a grudge, I know we will always fight but I still hope that one day it will stop.