Adrift | Teen Ink

Adrift

September 22, 2014
By briarnold24 BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts
briarnold24 BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   "I am folding, and unfolded, and unfolding..." Center stage. I am dancing in front of a vast audience at the Providence Performing Arts Center representing my high school as their captain. As I mindlessly begin to lift my leg over my head, I look down to see my right hip shift from one side of my body to the other.

   One second. One second was all it took for my life to change. Trying to block out the audience's gasps, I slowly put both hands on my deformed hip and force it back into its socket.As my tears came out of the searing pain, I realized that I had nothing else to lose. Besides, the tears made the dance seem more emotional for the judges. As I attempt to get through the last minute of the dance, I knew I would have to give it my all because I realized after that moment, my title as captain would be gone as well as my dance career for a while, if not forever. "I am ready...I am fine." As the song came to an end, I limped off the stage and it was as though I could feel the audience's disbelief rush through my body. I couldn't help but smile because I just did the impossible.

   Two weeks later. The doctor said nothing was wrong with me. He didn't even send me off for x-rays or an actual MRI. Will anyone believe me when I tell them I'm in pain and cannot walk? Doctor or no doctor, I will not doubt what my body is telling me. I know something is seriously wrong with me.

   Four months later. Summer has finally come to a close and my junior year of high school has officially begun. Over the summer, I could feel my body weaken as the days went by. Believing I was fine because of what my doctor told me months ago, I had to prepare for soccer tryouts. I decided to go for a run the day before tryouts and the next thing I know, I'm on the ground. I physically cannot run anymore. Unable to cope with the anger, I rush home and try to dance again. Nothing. I couldn't even lift my leg without my hip completely popping out of its socket. I grabbed my laptop, sat on my floor, and began to write emails to both my dance and soccer coach. I had no other choice but to tell them that I was unable to participate this year. Just like that, I was no longer captain of the dance team and no longer played varsity soccer. I had to act like an adult and listen to what my body was telling me to do, not what I wanted to do.

   Eight months later. I am finally meeting my surgeon. My MRI results revealed that I had a severe hip labrum tear and would need surgery as soon as possible. My surgeon walks in and tells me he has even more bad news. Not only does he have to sew my hip cartilage back together, he now has to shave down two of my bones--my ball and my socket. I will need to have three metal pieces placed into my hip.

   One year later. It has officially been three months since my surgery, and I have never felt as good as I do now. The doctors told me after my surgery that I would not be able to dance for an entire year; I knew immediately I would prove them wrong. Driven to get my strength back so I could dance as soon as possible, I was cleared to dance this month. Through this entire experience, a whole new Brianna Arnold has been "unfolding and unfolding". She is ready...She is fine.