Being the River | Teen Ink

Being the River

By hockey14msc BRONZE, Pawtucket, Rhode Island
hockey14msc BRONZE, Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Worries filled my head and my inner voice was shouting “if you go through with the surgery you

will never play hockey again”. As I stumbled to the edge of the stairs I could hear my mom’s faint voice

calling out to me. I knew that it was time to get ready for my pre-op appointment. I hobbled down the

stairs reassuring myself that I wanted to do this. Just before I was ready to depart I remember hearing

the slamming of the door and I knew at that moment that there was no turning back. The car purred

down the road and I saw the sign that said “ Fenway next right”  that meant  it was getting time to go to

the pre-op center. As the doors slid open I tripped and fell to my knees. I reassured myself at that

moment the surgery I had once feared would change my life forever.

There is a motto that I truly live in my everyday life and that is “be the river” I never really knew

what that meant until the eleven and a half hours in the operating room. I finally understood this

when I got out of surgery and was told by my doctor “there is a long road ahead of you before

you get to play hockey again”. I figured out at that moment what that quote meant. It brings forth  the idea

that if there is a boulder in the way of the river, the river has to find a way around it.

After my surgery there was a plethora of obstacles in my way so I have to be the river.

Eleven and a half hours is a long time but when you think of it that eleven and a half hours

changed my whole life. There were many obstacles in my way but all of them were worth it in the long

run because I had learned that no obstacle was too big for me to overcome. This surgery made me a better

person as well because I learned that if you want something that bad that you have to work for it. In my

case it was to get back on the ice. So I vigorously started to train.

After endless months of training I was able to step back on the ice. All of the thoughts and doubts

that went through my mind were all suddenly gone. The feeling that I had when I glided on the

ice for the first time after my surgery was a feeling I don’t think anyone could describe. As I

glided on the ice I knew that I had been the river, overcoming all of the obstacles that had been in

my way. This feeling was extraordinary that very moment changed my life, and you wonder why.

I had proven to myself that anything is possible if you believe that you can do it. and overcome

the adversity.

This quote has a special importance to me because I first heard it in eighth grade when my hockey

coach said “be the river”.  Ever since my surgery I have lived this through my everyday life. It just does

not have to be a struggle physically it can also be a struggle mentally to find your true self. I have tried to

instill this quote into the lives of many people through my ministry as a volunteer mentoring children to

be the best that they can be.    

People never thought that I would be saying that I play on a girls’ varsity hockey team. But I

really feel that I became the river and overcame all the obstacles to reach my goal of playing hockey

again. I believe that whenever people have doubts about achieving a goal they should just think about

being the river. Although there might be obstacles in your way you can achieve extraordinary things.