The Way Things Used to Be. | Teen Ink

The Way Things Used to Be.

By ___averylynn_____ SILVER, Waterford, Michigan
___averylynn_____ SILVER, Waterford, Michigan

Look closely at the present you are constructing. It should look like the future you are dreaming. - Alice Walker.
What you wear is your billboard. So, what are you advertising?

I drove by your house yesterday. Everything came flooding back. I saw the tires spinning. I saw the kids playing in their yard. I saw pictures of you. I saw my arms and yours. I smelt your perfume. It was like I was watching you and me. I saw your moms grey car, the one that’s kind of boxy from the back. I saw Olive Garden and 7-eleven. I wanted to cry right there, because I knew that things would never be like that way. But I couldn’t let a tear roll down my cheek because things have changed. I can’t be with you, and it’s for the best. I wish I could redo our relationship and change it into something that could be real right now. I miss you, and who you were. Not the girl I knew when I last saw you. I wonder if you miss me like I miss you, or if you think about be frequently. I just wish everything were okay, like when we first met in the middle of 6th grade. I just miss searching for you after every one of my classes. I miss the way you smell, and the way we could cry in front of each other and not give a s***. I still have a bottle of your old perfume, and sometimes I have to smell it. I also still wear your clothes. They used to mean something to me, but now they feel like my own. That’s how long it’s been. I can’t imagine you ever reading this, but you would know if you did that it was me. I hope you are doing something really fantastic with your life. I surely am.

Past, hopeful, sad.

on Aug. 5 2014 at 10:29 am
LavanderMayday SILVER, Oroville, California

"Writers aren't exactly one person, they're a whole bunch of people trying to be one person"

This was excellent. The way you described this was fantastic. You're good at showing how you feel with senses such as smell, eyesight , touch. Very good job. Keep up the good work.