In Your Presence, My Voice Released | Teen Ink

In Your Presence, My Voice Released

By FruityLoop SILVER, Berkshire, New York
FruityLoop SILVER, Berkshire, New York

"Writers mean more than they say and say more than they mean." ~Mason Cooley

My voice, locked away someplace deep. Deep. Deep within me. In chains. My voice restrained. Held back. Pinned down. My voice in chains. Chains of fear, chains of doubt. Longing was my voice, longing to be, free. Free. Longing was my voice to be, released. Yes, released.

Moved by your presence, worshiping and glorifying, lifting and praising, your holy name, rising as a single wave, people rose to their feet; some with tears traveling down their faces, some, drawing upward their empty hands, surrendering everything to you, singing all for you. As your presence poured among them, I stood, the mike grasped in hand still in its stand, on the red carpeted crowded stage, joined by others ignited by your spirit, in singing our lungs out and jamming our hearts out, in leading the congregation in worship. That’s when you overcame me. That’s when, at last, my voice was released. Yes, released.

As a raging river of your warmth engulfed me, humbled before you, I trembled, I shook, in your glory, in your presence. As if my soul was swallowed by the blazing sun, you flooded me-you radiated through me-with your love, reminding me I’ve got nothing to fear. For you are God and have no fear. So why, so what, shall I fear?

As your warmth simmered and fluttered within me, I no longer doubted, I no longer feared. For you are God and have no fear. So why, so what, shall I fear? You hold all things in your hands and-this-is all part of your plan. There’s no need for fear, there’s no need for doubt, for you are God. For you are here. For you whisper in my ear, Gone. Gone are the chains. As I speak, your voice now released. My voice now, free. Yes, free.

Dissipated, diminished, destroyed are the chains of fear. Gone. Dissipated, diminished, destroyed are the chains of doubt. Gone.

Finally, my voice, at last, released. Finally, my voice, at last, freed. Now I sing. I sing for you. My voice I give to you, forever for you to use. I sing, sing, sing, lifting your name beyond the heavens. I sing, sing, sing, in love, in worship, just for you. Only for you, with the mike out of its stand, belonging in my hands.

In that moment, I overcame my fear of singing. I shoved aside that big loud voice that says ‘No you can’t do it, you aren’t good enough for this’. I overcame, and in that moment, I discovered that something, something, was hidden within myself that I never knew existed. That something, was passion. That something, was, and is, my love and passion for God. That something was, and still is, the ability and strength to conquer anything, through surrender.

It wasn’t surrendering to that big loud voice. It was surrendering, giving myself completely and wholly to God, without holding anything back, without hesitation, without fear.

God has shown me my purpose and I will not hold back.