A Morning by My Grandpa | Teen Ink

A Morning by My Grandpa

March 15, 2014
By Michelle Chu BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Michelle Chu BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I could hear footsteps outside, in the kitchen at 5:00 AM. I know it’s my grandfather. He does it everyday. I lay in bed, awake from the noises he makes. I hear his slippers, pacing to and fro from the fridge to the stove. I hear the gas turn on and the fire is lit. I hear the sizzling on the pan. The plates tinker as they are removed from the cabinet to the counter. I could see the three eggs sliding down to the plate from the pan. One for my father, one for my sister, and one for me. None for him to eat.

It’s 5:30. I could still hear his slippers walking across the tiled floor. He takes the glasses from the shelf. I could hear the water dispenser as the big bottle of water jugs as it comes out. Three glasses of hot water. One for my father, one for my sister, and one for me. None for him to drink. It can’t be too cold because it is winter. I know that’s what he thinks. It can’t be too cold. They’ll get sick.

It’s 5:45. I could hear the spoons and forks clinker as they make their way to the table in his hands. He sets the table and sets the chairs. They’ll be out fast. They can’t be late. I better not mess up. I know he thinks that. He finishes steaming the buns and sets them on a plate. Three big rolls. One for my father, one for my sister, and one for me. None for him to eat. These are their favorite kind. They’ll eat a lot and have energy for the day.

It’s 6:00 AM. I hear the doorknob turning. The lights flicker on and I quickly place covers on my head, pretending I’m asleep. He looks for my blue water bottle. He quickly finds it. Wow, she drank all the water again! I’m glad she drank enough water; her lips are always dry. Then he turns to me and gently says, “Michelle, it’s time to wake up.” I pretend to groan and fake that I was sleeping. I say okay.

He leaves so I can change. I hear him going to my father’s room. “Andy, it’s time to wake up,” he says softly. Then he closes the door and leaves. Then he opens my sister’s door. “Christine, oh! You’re already awake? How smart!” I hear her tell him his water bottle is on the table. Then he leaves and closes the door delicately. I hear the water machine again. The big jug churns two times as the water fills into the bottles.

It’s 6:30. I hear him knock the door. “Michelle, it’s already 6:30.” I respond by yelling okay, I’ll be out soon. Oh, I hope she won’t be late. She won’t be able to eat enough food for breakfast, I know he thinks. I hear my sister come out. Then my father. “It’s cold outside. You should wear a bigger jacket”, he says to both of them. They eat a few things, and out they go. They travel to Manhattan; it’s a long trip. “Have a great day!” he says to them as they slam the door.

It’s 6:45. I put on my shoes and carry my backpack to the living room. I hear him zipping up his own jacket. “It’s cold outside, Michelle. I saw it was about 10 degrees!” he says to me as I zip up my jacket. I put on my scarf and hat. How smart of her! Now she won’t get too cold! I know he thinks this. I see him put on his snow boots and follow me out the door. I walk on the street and it’s shoveled. I know he must’ve shoveled the snow all by himself just so we could walk and not slip.

It’s 7:00 AM. My bus comes. He tells me, “Don’t just wear a tee shirt at school!” I say I won’t. I start walking towards the doors and look back. He smiles. He waves goodbye to me. I smile back at him. I know he’s thinking, wow, she’s all grown up now! I wave goodbye to him too. As the bus pulls out and starts driving, I look out the window and there he is, standing in the cold waiting for the bus to leave before he does. I realize he knows that I love him too.