Forgotten | Teen Ink

Forgotten

I rip the door open, tearing past Shannon and Charlie. My feet slamming on the ground. Faster and faster, down the hill.

I vaguely hear voices calling my name. But they are nothing to me. I turn back and see no one. I dart over and hide behind a bush. It is cold and dark, like a black cat stealing across your path. Shannon runs past, missing me. I pray that she will be safe. I watch as her shadow disappears into the darkness. Fear begins to overwhelm me, and tears stream down my face.

A car drives past and I hear Kelly screaming. My name slicing like a knife through the dark.

Shannon runs up to the car, a dim blur in my teary vision.

“I looked down that street. She isn't there-” Her voice is broken by tears, and I begin to shake.

“Okay. Go back home.”

Shannon turns and begins walking towards me. I freeze and hope she doesn't see me. But she does. She runs towards me, and again I am up. Running, running, a shadow through the night.

The trees blur behind me, and my feet move faster than ever before. Fueled by adrenaline I can easily outrun everyone. The trees loom over me. Like hunters looking to kill. Shadows are draped everywhere. Captives, like me; unable to escape the deadly anguish of their thoughts. I run, into the grassy green of the park, over to a tree. Looking up it. Wishing to climb. I see Shannon searching the park. She sees me and starts slowly walking towards me.

“I know what it’s like! I cut too. I know what it’s like. You’ll be okay. Now come with me. Please.” I lean against the tree. Fresh tears wetting my face. I cry for Shannon. I cry for this cruel, cruel world.

I remember sitting at Garrett’s party. surrounded by the dark. Hearing voices screaming downstairs, and pulling myself farther and farther away from them. Reaching into my shirt and untying the rope that was always there. Remembering the day I got it. walking along the streets, talking to my friends. But constantly having to pull my pants up. Begging Katie to give me my rope back; the key to the one happy memory I had left. Then dad screams into my head. “I will kill you!” Those days sitting there, watching my blood and tears wash together. Then wiping them away, and putting on my mask for another day. But finally it cracked. I was lost and scared. I couldn’t stand it anymore. I had to go.
Shannon takes a step towards me, and then I hit the ground with a thump. I sit there for a second passed out on the ground, then get up. Take a shaky step, then another. I can hear Shannon crying behind me.

Out of the corner of my eye I glimpse a shadow. Dark, and intimidating. I recognize the guy standing before me and sprint in the opposite direction. It’s Dan the only one who ever seemed to care. The only one who understood. The only one who listened. And the only one who could change my mind.

I feel his hands grabbing me. I try to pull away but he overpowers me, and pulls me to the ground.

“Do you want to walk? Or should I just hold you here?” His voice is cool, calm, collected.

I struggle for a few seconds, then relax. Knowing I had been defeated. Instead I sit there, and remember the feeling of someone caring. A feeling long forgotten. Feeling safe for once; no one could hurt me. Not even my dad. I felt warm inside. Not scared like most people would be. But safe, and even happy. A feeling that only people caring could bring into my heart.