The Locker | Teen Ink

The Locker

It was freshman year, after concert band class, and my friends, Alicia, short, with brown hair and wearing faded blue jeans, a white tanktop and old red hoodie, and Shannon, tall with long blonde hair, wear new blue jeans and a bright pink tee, and me were taking the shortcut to the freshman hallway, outside the band hall doors to the senior parking lot and past the front offices. We're allowed to but the doors are always locked so we have to bang on them loudly till someone notices and cares enough to let us in. Its about end of winter to early spring so it is pretty chilly. Finally someone opens the door and its one of my best friends Liz, medium height, and dirty blonde hair, she was wear faded blue jeans and a lime green tee.
"Someone wrote on your locker!" she said immediately.
"What?" i said confused and rushed to my locker, there was people surrounding it.
W***E! was written across the front of my dark blue locker with black marker. I dropped my backpack, irritated, tried to wipe it off with the sleeve of my hoodie, and opened my locker trying to not let it phase me in front of everyone. KEEP OUTTA MY WAY B***H! and I'LL WRECK YOUR S**T! was written on the inside of my locker door and on the shelf was my black expo marker, that's what it had to of been written with. Right when i saw the writing on the inside i knew who it had to of been, my locker partner,Lexie. Who else could it of been? Just then Lexie, with medium highlighted hair, wearing booty shorts, sweat pants and a pink pull over hoodie, and two of her best friends came to the locker, laughing, so Lexie could get her stuff for her next class.
"Are you kidding me?" I yelled at them, "You think this is funny? Really?" As soon the they left the hall I broke, and started crying on Liz's shoulder, I couldn't take it anymore.
"Come on, hon. Get your stuff lets go talk to Mrs. Newman." Liz said.I grabbed my stuff for 5th hour and put it in my back and white zebra print backpack colored with sharpie and we started down the hall. The tardy bell rang before we found her, so she was out on tardy duty when we did find her, short, with brown hair and always dressed nice.The four of us all started talking at once, before she raised her hand to quiet us.
“What happened?” she asked us.
“Lexie wrote on my locker,” I said, with my voice still shaky from crying.
“Are you sure it was her, Kiera?” she asked.
“Yeah, it was on the inside of my locker too and she’s my locker partner,” I replied without doubt of it being her.
“Do you three have anything to do with it?” she asked Liz, Shannon, and Alicia.
“ No,” they all said at once. “We were just helping her,” Shannon said.
“Then, go to class,” she requested, and they all went to class without questioning her. “Lets go to my office.”
“Okay,” I said and followed her a short way down the hall to the attendance office with blue carpet and white walls, to the right it had 5 comfy blue chairs, a table with a phone in between two of them, and a plant to the corner, and to the left it had an on-the-wall pamphlet sorter next to a tall counter with different colored papers, a plant and a few solar powered moving mechanical flowers on it, and two ladies, one brunette and one blonde, sitting behind it working at computers. We walked around the counter and towards a hallway with the same blue carpet and white cement walls and went into the 3rd office on the right.There was two dark blue chairs to the right of the door in front of her desk and her dark blue chair behind it. I sat in the first chair and she sat in hers. Behind her was a big window that cover the whole width of the wall that showed the front of the school that i walked across before Lexie did this to me.
Mrs. Newman had me explain the whole story to her. “I will call Lexie down, in the meantime, do you want to get a new locker?” she asked me. I nodded. “Okay, go to the counseling office.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Newman.” I said, and walked out of her office and the attendance office, walked back down the main hall with white and blue cement wall covered in colorful posters about random things, and turned left before the junior locker bank with tan, short lockers and past the cafeteria and the mall and right when when i pass a row of tan, short lockers of the senior locker bank, i turned left into the counseling office.
The whole back wall was the counselor’s offices, light brown wood doors, closed, tall windows, tan shades pulled down. In the middle a circle of the same blue chairs, as in the attendance office, with a small wood table with school magazines on it, same blue floor and white walls, same on-the-wall pamphlet sorter, same tall counter but to the right and with a different lady behind it, she had short brown hair and was always on the phone making appointments for the counselors. I waited for her to get off the phone, i sat in one of the blue chairs, it was comfy but not enough to fall asleep. About five minutes later, she finally was off the phone.
“May I help you?” she asked me in her tiny voice. I got up out of the chair and walked to the counter covered in colorful papers.
“Yes, Mrs. Newman sent me down to get my locker changed,” I replied, ready to get this whole thing over with.
“Oh, yes. She emailed me about that,” she answered, enthusiastically, “Let me see what lockers are free.” She went to her computer and looked for lockers. “Lockers 1116, 1137, and 1201 are free. Which one do you think will best suit you?”
“Can you show me them on a map?” I asked as my voice cracked, nervously. I don’t like talking to people I’m not close to.
“Of course,” she said and pulled out a map of the school. “1116 is here, 1137 is here, and 1201 is here,” she pointed at different places in the school.
“I’ll take 1116, it’s close to where my locker is now and I don’t want to disrupt my schedule.”
“Okay, here the combination,” she pulled out a yellow sticky note and wrote 1116 and 34-12-17 on it.
“Thank you,” I said, thinking that after I put my stuff in this locker it will be over.
I turned around and walked out of the counseling office, past both tan locker banks, back to the freshmen hallway, to my old locker. I put in my old combination, and grabbed my books off the top shelf and searched for my hoodie in her sea of hoodies, i took my black expo maker and all of my pencils and pens, and closed her locker. I walked farther down the long hallway to 1116, my new locker, and put in my new combination. I hung up my hoodie on one of the hooks, placed my books on the lower shelf and put all my pens and pencils on the top shelf. I put the sticky note in my pocket and closed the locker door. I sat down and leaned against my locker, and felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. It was over. I thought to myself. I got up and went to my class and thought, today could've been just a normal day, but I guess everything happens for a reason.