My Unexpected Departure | Teen Ink

My Unexpected Departure

February 2, 2014
By Anonymous

Tomorrow… Tomorrow… I hope that I will have enough time to finish this memoir…. I need to finish it soon so I can start my other project…. Oh, a split end and another one. Why do I have so many split ends. Wait… it is not the time to think about my hair! I need to finish this first….Why didn’t I finish it yesterday?! If I had finished it yesterday, right now, I would be doing my other project and after, I would be able to find out more about universities and watch a video. But like always, I finish my project the day before the due date…. I need to concentrate. What can I write about? …. I have no idea…. Oh, right, I promised Dad last time that I wouldn’t write about something sad like bad memories or Mom… So, something happy…. Oh, maybe I can write about the last day of my two years of wait? But did it change me or do something special? …. It made me become more patient… and it prepared me for unexpected situations…. I think that it should be okay…. So, let’s start.
* * *
Thursday August 29th, the strident sound of my favorite music, my alarm clock, woke me up at 9 AM. I was first wondering why in the world I had set my alarm clock to 9 in the morning when it was the summer and that I went to bed late the day before or maybe early this morning, it depends on the point of view.
* * *
Ah…. It was the good times, when I thought that waking up at 9 AM was so early…. Now, it is almost normal…
* * *
Lying in my bed, I tried to open my eyes but they would only blinked because of the sunlights that my thin curtains couldn’t occlude. When I was finally able to open my eyes without becoming blind, I remembered why I went to bed late. It was because I went with my friend to the last showing of Byzantium, a strange, perturbing movie about two female vampires, a mother and her daughter, trying to escape from an exclusive men vampire’s society that wants their deaths. And I also remembered that I had set the alarm clock because my friend wanted to take an early train to be home before lunch. I wished that she could stay longer because she was my first friend to ever come visit me and stay to sleep at my father flat since we moved to Louvain-La-Neuve 4 years ago. But because her little sister was alone for lunch at her house, I understood why she wanted to be home early.
* * *
Now that I think about it, I didn’t go to the theater with a friend since that time…. I should try to organize something one day….
* * *
I turned in my bed to look at her. She was starting to move in her improvised bed. Since I didn’t have a second mattress, she was sleeping in a big pouf. But even though she was moving, she didn’t seem to want to open an eye. I found that situation kind of ironical, after all, she was the one who wanted to set the alarm clock to 9 AM, and at 9 AM, I was the one who was awake. I decided to not wake up her immediately. After all, her train was in 3 hours, she wasn’t going to miss it because she slept 5 more minutes.
* * *
I think that it was also because I wanted to go shopping with her …. Maybe it was because of me that the alarm was set to 9 AM….
* * *
I turned in my bed to lie on my back and I started to look at my cream ceiling. If I were in my mother’s old flat, which was once my father’s flat, and was before that my mother’s and father’s flat, I would have been looking at an old poster of Taylor Lautner, reminder of my “Twilight’s fan” period. I had tried many a times to take down that poster, but it had always ended-up with my mother telling me to stop jumping on my bed. But in this new flat, there wasn’t any poster on the ceiling, the only thing that was worth attention was my paper globe lamp.
* * *
To be true, there were other things worth attention. I had a big sticker tree which was taking almost a whole wall, and on the other walls, I had posters, portraits and an autograph of a japanese group. But what I meant, was that there weren’t any posters on my ceiling.
* * *
Lying on my bed, I was looking at the continents of my globe lamp, trying to find where Belgium was, what was the distance between Belgium and the United States, and where was the place where I was going to fly to. Maybe Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire or one of those states near the Atlantic Ocean. I was sure that I wouldn’t go to California since the school had already started a long time ago, and I had friend in Arkansas, Illinois, and Iowa, who had also started or were going to start school. So, I probably wouldn’t be in those states since the people from WEP had told, “ We will inform you at least 3 days before your departure. We will tell you where you are going and you would be there one week before the start of school,so that you will be used to your new family.”
* * *
First, I was totally wrong about my destination. Wisconsin isn’t near Maine or Massachusetts. Second, the people from WEP can be some big liars sometimes or maybe that they are really bad with time planning because it definitely wasn’t 3 days…
* * *
Lying on my bed, I was going to turn to check my email on my phone when I saw my new red luggage, the one that my father and I bought 3 weeks ago, hoping that it would pass the strict standards of the airlines companies. It was lying on the floor, opened just next to my closet and almost empty. I realised that during those 3 days before my departure, I would have a lot to do like finishing my luggage, finding and buying the gifts for my family, selecting the clothes that I would keep, cleaning my room, putting everything in boxes so that it would be easy for my father to clean my room afterwards, seeing my friends and telling goodbye to everybody. That was a lot to do.
* * *
The boxes were almost already done so it was okay but I didn’t really get the chance to say bye to my friends…. I miss them sometimes….
* * *
Lying on my bed, looking at my luggage, I suddenly remembered that I still needed to check my email on my phone. I took my phone which was charging on my alarm clock, hoping to find an email from WEP, but instead, the first email that I saw was from my father. It was telling me to quickly check my email and was announcing to me that he would leave work at lunch today. As I was reading his email, I felt like a dam had given away, pouring all this excitement inside me. Then, questions started to pop up in my head, like if they were inside bubbles which all decided to explode at the same time, when I saw that the sender of another new email was WEP. Did they find a family? Am I leaving Tuesday? Where am I going? How is the weather there? Am I going to be one of the 5% who are going without having a family yet? Did they forget me? Am I not going anymore? I started to read the email, full of excitement but in the same time, full of anxiety.
* * *
It was stupid of me to think that they had forget me or that I wasn’t going. After all, I had already paid everything. Otherwise they founded me a family, a big, nice family. A family composed of three extraordinary people and of a lot of animals…. .That weather is something that I didn’t expect back then, I probably wouldn’t have believed that the weather could be like that. But now, I am almost laughing when I saw people from Belgium complaining about the weather. And I want to tell them, “You want snow? Are you sure? Then come here.” … . I think I am almost done with my memoir. Youhou.Wait … I’m starting to be too much off subject what was the last thing again?... I started to read the email, full of excitement but in the same time, full of anxiety? Yes, that’s it.
* * *
Then, suddenly, I sat up stiff as a poker in my bed like if a spring had pushed me up. If someone was watching, I probably looked like a training doll in Monster & inc. As I sat up, everything went black for a second as if someone had put a black filter just in front of my eyes and my room started to spin. It was probably because I sat up too fast after lying for so long. After recovering my view, and when the feeling of me being in a carousel faded away, a sentence of the email started to dance in my head and I immediately shouted. I shouted from joy and surprise. I shouted so loudly that my friend woke up, sat up and also started to shout ...from fear. She started to look everywhere and then looked at me and asked, “What is happening?! You scared me so much that I almost had a heart attack!”
I looked at her and answered with a voice full of excitement and surprise, “I am going to America tomorrow!”