Why I Write | Teen Ink

Why I Write

January 16, 2014
By 1arcticmonkey BRONZE, Greeley, Colorado
1arcticmonkey BRONZE, Greeley, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life is ephemeral, don't waste it looking up big words." - Dorf


I had been trying to decide on a topic or story that would elegantly create a memoir for my online school, I thought I needed some heavenly ordained bit of life that I could share with the world in a thunderous wave. There had been several activities put in place by my school that were designed to help me choose a topic, but none of them seemed to apply to me. I felt like there was nothing for me to offer the literary world, especially from my own experiences. So after what felt like an eternity of sitting in bed and vainly trying to think of a writable topic, I read one more tip telling me to draw out a map of a place I've lived for a long time. I realized I haven't lived anywhere for more than a few years since I was born, I almost threw my computer at the wall. Nothing was helping me creatively. That is when I realized that I am weird. not in a negative way but I truly am. I don't have funny summer vacation stories, What I have is a collage of memories, people, places, and moments that may have been in one place or another. I decided to make my memoir about that moment of realization. The moment that is now in my history. Cataloged and recorded only by my memory, to be forgotten as fast as it was realized. through writing about that moment I found a truth that I hold very closely, I don't need validation for moments. moments are valuable because they happen to me and now those same moments are valuable because they are shared with you. after all this stress and worry I didn't need a good story, I just needed to see the potential that each and every passing moment has, to make it in my unforgotten history. I don't need an excuse or a prescription to make any part of my life immortal, all I need is a pen.