The Bond | Teen Ink

The Bond

By cupcakequeen59 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
cupcakequeen59 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Every year, my parents host a small party for New Year's Eve. A few of my closest relatives are invited, along with my family's friends. This party is a marvelous opportunity to get closer to family members and to bond with them. New Year's Eve is also my birthday. Last year, I turned eighteen. This was pretty awesome because it meant I could make my own choice and decisions.

The day before my birthday, my three younger sisters worked, concealed in my dad's office, on a secret project.

I, on the other hand, sat in solitude in another room, left with none other than my best friend-the sewing machine. As I worked hard on one of my many sewing projects, I heard my sisters, Veronica, Katrina, and Angelina, running up and down the stairs, whispering excitedly. I was a little bit envious as their laughter echoed through the hallway, because I was usually the one who planned things and led my sisters; yet, I had a sneaking suspicion that they were doing this for me.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
It started on a Monday morning, but not just any Monday, it was the thirty-first day of the year. That day was December 31, 2013. I awoke drowsily, as my sister, Katrina whispered urgently, “Angelina! Wake up! We have to get up before Maria gets awake. It's her birthday today, remember? Get up!” I groaned and rolled over, reluctant to get out from the warm cocoon of blankets.

“Wasn't yesterday's work enough?,” I moaned, “It took all day, and now I don't even get to sleep in.” I then shuffled out of bed and put on my soft robe and brand new slippers, already worn from constant usage.

“All right,” I replied. “I'm up.” I rubbed my eyes groggily, trying to look more alive.

Tip-toeing across the hallway downstairs, Katrina and I went to work on decorating the hallways, the kitchen, the dining room, and any place in between. In no time, the house was a rainbow, dazzling with streamers of every color. Bloated balloons hung in the corners of each room and even on the mailbox. We even put up a “Happy Birthday” sign and anxiously awaited the birthday girl's arrival downstairs.
Later in the morning, Veronica, Katrina, and I helped my mom prepare the food. We made several of my personal favorite foods. By the time we had finished, we had quite a feast in front of us. The meal contained a scrumptious variety of foods, that included a spicy, Mexican-seven-layer-dip, meatballs for sandwiches, macaroni salad, stuffed with sweet pickle pieces, as well as three bean salad, consisting of four types of canned beans. Crunchy broccoli salad with bacon bits and raisins, jello salad, chips, cookies, and a veggie platter were also prepared. The best part was the mini hot dogs, covered bacon water chestnuts, and the chewy, charred, chocolate brownies. I decorated Maria's birthday cake, using my skills from previous Wilton cake decorating classes. It took me several hours of back-breaking work to complete the basket weave design around the cake. By the end, my hand was cramped up from squeezing the icing bag, but the results were worth it.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
I asked my mother and three sisters if I could help prepare the traditional food for my party, but they said that I didn't have to since today was my birthday. Being the nice person that I was, I helped out by drying a never-ending load of dishes.

That morning, I had eaten a splendid breakfast including orange juice, fruit, and my father's famous Daddy-egg-muffin sandwich. The muffin is toasted, to make the sandwich. Then and egg with cheese is put on the muffin, along with bacon, and ketchup.

I had come downstairs to a wonderfully decorated house, and admired the magnificent decorations my sisters had made. I really appreciated all their hard work making my day special, but if I thought this was the highlight, I had another thing coming.

Right around lunchtime, my grandparents and Uncle Rick, my dad's brother, came. We were all excited to see them again, for we don't see them very often.

“Happy Birthday to you...” Mee Maw sang as I walked outside to greet them.

“Hey! Here comes the birthday girl!” Pap called. Uncle Rick simply gave me a big bear hug with many kisses. “How's it feel to be eighteen, Mia?” my uncle asked. He had come up with nicknames for all of my sisters and me. After we had unpacked their car, and settled them for the overnight stay, we ate lunch. We had to set up a card table to extend our kitchen table, and have enough room for nine people. It was a little claustrophobic, but we managed to fit. We ate pickled beets, deviled eggs, sandwiches, and cookies, along with other food.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
One of my favorite parts of New Year's Eve is eating finger foods like cheese wedges, baloney, and crackers. Perhaps the great food was the reason why I remember New Year's Eve the most; or maybe, the reason was that I had the opportunity to break any of the awkward tension that comes from getting reacquainted with some of my aunts and uncles. New Year's Eve gave me a chance to talk one-on-one with my family, and bond over a non-alcoholic margarita slushy, or the plans for a haunted house in December.

During the time in which we were preparing the final touches of preparation, my other grandparents came over, along with my Aunt Janice, Uncle Ralph, and cousin, Michael, soon followed by my four neighbors, who are close friends with my family. My neighbor, Emma Jean, brought her traditional chocolate chip cookies and coated pecans. We were all ecstatic to be together again; everyone talked merrily and had a fun time.

Finally the time came for dinner. We put all of the food out on the dining room table. It was a huge feast with so many choices. Everyone was hungry by the time we lined up for dinner. The line went from youngest to oldest (guests and birthday girl first) as we helped ourselves to the food. There were so many choices in the smorgasbord that we had to come back to refill our plates two or three times. The food was simply divine and everyone had their own favorite.

While we were waiting for a piece of cake, I played Life with Uncle Rick, my sisters, Michael, my friend, and her dad. It was a blast, even though I didn't win the game. The best part was seeing who picked which character and what kind of house they got. At one point, Katrina had to get another car for her people, because she didn't have enough room for all her family members in the game. We chatted during the game and we all got caught up on what was happening in each other's lives.

Once the game ended, we ate cake, and cake, and more cake. Eventually, we were stuffed to the gills and couldn't eat another bite, but we managed to eat yet another piece of delectable chocolate cake.

Maria's cake was sort of an experiment, for it was the first time I had made a filled cake. It was two layers and had raspberry filling between and lots of sweet icing. By the way it vanished so quickly, I could tell that it was a hit too.

Cleaning up the dishes didn't take us long, for everyone helped in one way or another. We could dispose of the paper plates and plastic silverware, leaving us with the platters to clean, and the food to put in containers and squeeze into the refrigerator.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Most people might find it odd that an adult would act like a kid; for me, it's just natural. You see it's not that I'm immature like a child, but I find the fun in life. I, for one, think that adults take life way too seriously, and should try looking at life from the perspective of a child.

It was a short time after dinner that we headed downstairs. Let me tell you that this part was a blast. We all gathered in the basement; the group consisted of my four nieces, their friend, their cousin, and me, the only adult. I have many hobbies, one of which includes being a DJ.
“Let's pretend that we're at a rock concert!” Veronica suggested.

“Great idea!” Trina agreed, “We could also turn out all the lights and use flashlights to make a spotlight.”

“Uncle Rick,” Maria added, “can be the DJ, and Michael can be the rock star!”

I gave in, and soon we were all jamming to a wide variety of songs, some from when I was a kid, to songs that are popular now. I was entertained as I watched my nieces act like adoring fans. After a while, everyone made a ring around each person as they break-danced. It was a blast!

* * * * * *

It was about nine o'clock when I had a really great idea to set up a haunted house in the basement. Uncle Rick helped us come up with most of it.

“Oooo!” Angelina shrieked, “Let's make masks to cover our faces!” So that is exactly what we did; each mask was unique and just as scary as the other. Uncle Rick and I were the ones who did most of the work, since he is a really good artist and I love precision.

“Let's use these old dress-up clothes to create an eerie effect when we turn the lights off,” called Katrina from the closet.

“Do you have flashlights?” added my neighbor, Brittany. “We could hang these around the basement for light.”

“I've got the best idea yet!” I bragged. “Veronica! You come over here. Put on this sombrero so that it covers your eyes. Hurry up! We don't have all night.” I placed a chair next to the table, and told her to sit down. Then, I instructed her to hunch over and I covered her shoulders with a blanket.

“Play something weird on the mini piano.” I suggested. The keys lit up and the sound of an organ filled the room.

“Maria,” Uncle Rick interrupted. “do you have any string we could use?”

“Yes,” I replied. “We do. It's in this box over here.”

“Let's hang it up around the basement like a giant cobweb. That'll scare Meemaw.”

We even put an old coat on a mop, with a hat, so that it appeared as though someone stood in the corner.

All of us put together our best ideas to make the haunted house really great. We were all enjoying ourselves, but the adults were getting impatient to see what we were doing and to come downstairs.

Once everyone was hidden in his location, Uncle Rick escorted each of the adults down the stairs with a flashlight as her only light source. We had mini flashlights all over the basement, so it was bright enough to see where to go, but it was dark enough to hide.

“Eeeek!” Aunt Janice screamed as I crept out of the pantry. Angelina scared my mom because she was hiding underneath the table where Veronica sat, and no one saw her until she leaped out in front of them. I have yet to discover a better time than that.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
By eleven o'clock, we were all really tired, so we played Pictionary. I love playing Pictionary with other people, because everyone has a different way that they draw the pictures and it is more fun to try to guess, then it is to see who wins.

Ten minutes before midnight, we turned on the TV and watched the performances before the new year. Everyone made a New Year's resolution. I was so excited; I had waited all week to see the ball drop. I wouldn't have slept anyway. As Mom says, I was too wound up, meaning I was so excited.

The final seconds came; the countdown to the new year. 3-2-1...and then... the ball dropped. Everyone was hugging and saying “Happy New Year.”

It was a pleasure spending time with my family and friends on that December day.

Recalling that event makes me realize that a bond was created on that day. It makes me see how important it is to be close to family and how a simple party can change how someone feels about you. New Year's Eve 2012 was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to connect to my family and friends. This day is one that I will never forget.