My Great Grandfather's New Beginning | Teen Ink

My Great Grandfather's New Beginning

By Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa

~The only thing greater than knowledge is imagination~

The year was 1944 when I was deployed to Binche, Belgium. My adrenaline was higher than ever; I was only nineteen and scared out of my wits to go into battle. Mother and Father had told me that serving my country was good for me, and would help me become a man. I didn’t

fully agree, but I joined the military anyway. We had received word that we’d be sailing along the English Channel for an operation everyone called “Neptune.” In less than a day we were on the ships making our way to Omaha Beach.

The day we set out was later known as D-day. It felt like it took forever to get to Omaha Beach. After a couple of hours passed, we finally spotted land. As we approached the edge of the beach, we heard a loud boom that caused our LCVP landing craft to shake and rock in the water. I looked over and saw the ship next to us had exploded. We reached land and saw a couple of survivors from the ship that had burst into flames and smoke. They said that someone had tried to shoot their gun and hit a hand grenade. I couldn’t believe it; how could that possibly happen?

We were discussing what we were going to do next and before I realized what was going on, bullets filled the atmosphere around me. We were being ambushed by the Germans. I don’t know how I managed to take action so quickly; but I felt like my only option at the time was to kill or be killed. At last, the battle was finally over. We had won our victorious battle. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I was shaking uncontrollably. The only thought I had was being home with my family and friends.

The battle was treacherous and horrifying; I don’t know how I ever managed to kill and survive. All I could think about was how many lifeless bodies were all over those grounds. I didn’t know if I would ever have to kill again or to see another death like that, but I prayed to God, thanking him for my life and my safety.

The sail back to Binche seemed like it took days, when in reality, it only took a couple hours. The only thing that played through my head was my friend’s face when I left him lying there in the tall grass. When we docked the ship, we were greeted with crowds of cheering people. Many congratulated us on our victorious battle. All I could really manage was a grin to hide my terror from my experiences.

Instead of staying in my empty tent and staring at the cot where my friend had once slept, I decided to walk around part of Binche. There were many interesting shops and bakeries. I slowly strolled along a street known as Mahy-faux and saw a tailor shop. In the window was a mannequin with a suit and tie. I decided that it wouldn’t hurt just to see if their clothing is any different than America’s clothing. As I walked in, a young woman with long brown hair greeted me.

“Bonjour, Monsieur.(Hello Sir)” she politely said. She had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen in my life; they were as green as a newly polished emerald. I was stunned by her beauty but managed to tell her that I was interested in the suit displayed in the window. She had me try it on and fitted it to my size. She then told me that my new suit would be finished in a couple days. I told her I would be back then to pick it up. I remember I never wanted to leave that shop. There was something about her that I just loved.

That night, I couldn’t sleep. Surprisingly the Normandy invasion was barely on my mind, but more on her, Marie DeFossez. I knew that the next two days were going to be too long to wait to see her. Alas, I managed to make it those two days. It was finally time to go to the shop. I entered and she was just wrapping the last part of the suit up in paper. I didn't know how to tell her, but it slipped out anyway,

“Je me demandais… Si.. Si vous souhaitez ... ,(I was wondering… If.. If you would...,)” I didn’t know how to say it without sounding like a fool. She stared at me with those big hopeful eyes, “Aimeriez-vous aller obtenir certains café avec moi quelque temps?(Would you like to go get some coffee with me sometime?)”

She simply smiled and said,“Oui, ‘j’aimerais que.(Yes, I would love that.)” We both smiled and I told her that I would come back around noon. She handed me the sack with my suit and I was on my way. I went back to my tent and changed into the suit Marie made for me. The other GI’s laughed at me as I scrambled to get ready.

We ended up having more than just one cup of coffee. I ended up taking her to a dance hall. There was nothing that didn’t make me happier than to be with her. By the end of the night, I knew that she was the girl for me. I didn’t necessarily believe in fairytales; but I definitely knew that this was my true love and there was only one more thing left to do, ask those four simple words,
“Will you marry me?”

This was the story of how my great grandparents met. They did get married in Binche and then came over to the US to begin thier new lives together.