Midnight Horror | Teen Ink

Midnight Horror

“Andrew are you okay, I’m so sorry” Cameron said. “Yeah I’m fine” I said, but this screws up some soccer problem coming up”. It was Thanksgiving at my grandparents house, a midnight horror really made Thanksgiving more interesting. My grandparent’s house is in the middle of no where, there is only one neighbor across the street but other than that no one. There is a big hill across the street, its amazing when it snows. It use to take forever to get it when I was younger but not as bad anymore, it is this hill where the event happen. My cousin and I were watching the Thanksgiving parade, Snoopy going by so slowly. There was snow on the ground from last nights storm. Not the gross snow where it was brown and you didn't want to go out but the white snow where you could spend hours but only feel like minutes. There is a big hill across the road from the house. My cousin and I got the sleds from the garage after we got our snow gear on. As soon as i opened the door, a cold gust of wind hit my face. thinking in my head that “This is going to be fun”. As we were setting out…”Don't do anything stupid, I don't want to be going to the hospital at twelve o’clock at night. We kinda ignored it because we are going sledding what could happen. We setted off for the hill. When we were walking up the deep, white snow, all i was thinking why my mother said that, does she want us to get jinxed. We finally made it up the hill, I was so excited that I fell face first in the snow. I was the first to go down. I felt the snow hit my face, the cold air snapping against my face, little snowflakes hitting my eyes while I go down. We did that for an hour, I was happier than a seven year old in Willie Wonka Chocolate factory. I was just thinking how fortunate to have a cousin like this, Cam and I having the time of our life and saddening at the same time. We would be grown up and not have as much fun as we have at this every hill so i have to make the best of this. While we were going down again, I saw a large bump in the snow. It was cow manure. “Cam, lets make a jump out of that”. “Andrew, while you go down. ill sit underneath the jump and push you up so you get more air”. In my head, how could this go wrong. As I got ready to go down, I remembered what my mom said. I pushed it out my head and said “Im going to hit this jump”. I had a running start. I felt the snow packing down every step I had. I was going faster than before. Snowflakes didn't feel the same, they were like knifes against my face. When I hit the jump, I felt my cousin push up against my sled. It was perfect… except, he pushed my more right than left. I let go of my sled and I was falling. I felt every second, the snowflakes hit my face, the cold air go over my coat, time was slowing down. I hit the ground hard, I hit my left shoulder on a ice patch. My head kinda hurt but nothing serious. I let my cousin hit the jump after me, he almost did the same thing but I was straight. We headed home, we wanted food. I asked my cousin to put away my sled because my shoulder started hurting really bad. As soon as I opened the door, the warm air hit my face and a sigh of relief went over my face. While I was taking off my coat, I felt my collarbone have a little snap. I freaked out and asked my mom to look at it. I looked at her face and her face said it all… It was broken. We rushed to the hospital which felt like forever. I remember the clock saying eleven fifty eight. I was mad that my mother saw the future. When I made it home, everyone felt sorry but I wasnt.

I wanted to be more mad at my cousin for breaking my collarbone but I couldn't, he’s my family and pretty much the only family around my age and I have good connections with. Everyone felt sorry for me but I didn't because I was having fun with my cousin and its a memory that will stay with me forever.