The Thing I Carry | Teen Ink

The Thing I Carry

By Allie1139 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Allie1139 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

Dear Mrs. P,

It’s not just a bracelet. It’s a sweet memory. It’s the kind of memory that, when you think about it, it makes you smile. It’s the kind of smile you get that makes people wonder why you’re smiling at nothing. But it’s not just nothing that you’re smiling at.

The classroom had Christmas decorations up in some areas. A table with a tiny green Christmas tree on it was lined up against the wall. Underneath the tree on a tree skirt were some small items wrapped in different colors of wrapping paper. Each gift had a name written on the colorful wrapping paper. It was what was above the gifts that caught my eye first. The small ornaments hung down from the fake green branches. From snowmen, to stockings, to Christmas lights, the ornaments were either covered in glitter or had a shine to them that made you glance at the tree as you passed by. They were only about an inch long, but they were the prefect size for a small tree.

I had a curious look on my face as I stared down at the gift placed in front of me with my name on it. I picked the small box up and I shook it once. I heard something sliding around inside. I carefully set it down on my desk because I didn’t want to break what was inside. When I opened it I had a bright smile on my face. I picked the bracelet up and put it on. I loved the way the beads felt as they were gliding across my wrist.

I loved the way it sparkled. Pink, light pink, and green were the perfect match. All forty six beads strung together. First pink then green and after about several pink and green beads, there was a slightly larger dark green one. Each end of the bracelet was connected by a silver magnetic clamp. The magnetic clamp was the shape of a sphere cut in half.

I set the empty white box on my desk. The crumpled wrapping paper was right on the desk where I left it. The school day was coming to an end. I picked up the empty box and the crumpled wrapping paper and tossed them in the trash. I thanked you and said enjoy your Christmas break. After the bell rang, I left the classroom and went home with a smile on my face.

Thank you Mrs. P for such a lovely bracelet. It’s more than just a bracelet to me now. Every time I wear it, I think of you and the other teachers, the school, the students, and all the great times I had there from pre-k up to seventh grade.

Sincerely,

Allie