When I Wasn't Perfect

At my elementary school, I was one of the smartest kids there. I never studied, but always got near perfect scores on all my tests and quizzes. I was a child genius, at least in my mind. I was also a child prodigy in music according to myself. I could carry a tune better than almost everyone in my school. I was sure that once I got to sixth grade everyone, including teachers, would be amazed by me.

They weren’t.

I arrived at my classes, eager to show everyone what I could do. However, everything I did it seemed someone else could do better. When I tried to reason, teachers ridiculed my efforts. Solos in singing were awarded to other, more talented girls. My grades suffered because I needed to actually be studying for my tests but wasn’t. I believed I wasn’t smart, I believed I wasn’t talented. I believed I was a failure.

Over the next two years I had to work very hard for everything I did. Any prize in vocal achievements was given to me for hours of hard work and effort. Grades were still very low but gradually improving. I worked hard and was still never as good as everyone else.

But I don’t have to be. It didn’t occur to me until very recently, but I don’t have to be the best at everything! All that pressure I was feeling, all that embarrassment when I did wrong, that was me! When I did badly on a test, my peers didn’t mock me, I tore myself up. I was being too hard on myself.

No one is perfect. There will probably always be someone better than me at something. Think about it. There are 7 billion people in this world. I will never be number one at everything, and for once, that’s okay.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Juuulia said...
today at 8:49 pm:
Muy bueno! <3 <3 <3