Valerie | Teen Ink

Valerie

October 4, 2013
By LucasH BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
LucasH BRONZE, Leroy, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
the sky is not the limit, there are footprints on the moon


VALERIE
Labor Day Sunday, everyone is gathered around. Brandon and I are in our skin tight pink pants. Everyone’s laughing at us and saying how sexy we are. You can hear the cheers of people and the crack of the bat. It’s a softball tournament. I love softball and I try to play in every tournament, but this was one tournament I wish I wouldn’t have had to play in.

We were the Smurfs in this tournament and we had pink uniforms. This was because it was her favorite movie and her favorite color. We played all day for this girl we loved so much and in our hearts. Although we got second, we could tell she was with us at every moment. During the final games of the day the sky was lit with pink and that reminded all of us of that beautiful girl. This girl was Valerie.

All I could think about during this moment is that just a few weeks ago before this tournament for her I was playing with her in a benefit softball tournament. We got second and might have done worse if Valerie wasn’t there. She wasn’t the most athletic or coordinated person in the world but she tried so hard and did great. Believe it or not, I’m pretty sure she led the team in batting average. She did with the “swing bunt”. She swung as hard as she could but it only went about three feet. It was kind of funny to watch but it worked for her almost every time. She got better as the day went on. She tried so hard that day. She was the heart of the team. She was always so optimistic whenever we were losing or not doing very well. She would always tell us to keep our heads up and not to worry about it if we made a mistake. Valerie was a big part of our success and a big source of how fun it was.

After the tournament Valerie, Mitch, Myranda, Brandon, and I went back to Mitchell’s to go swimming and hang out like best friends would. Never did I realize or even think that I’d be playing in another tournament just a few weeks after. Not with Valerie, but in memory of her. We were the same team in both tournaments and playing on the same fields. We lost in the finals both tournaments too. I think we should have won, but then I think it was supposed to end like that. I was upset because I made the last out and I was thinking after the game that she wouldn’t want me to be upset, but to keep my head up. That’s the girl she was; when someone was down, she would try to pick them and make them feel better.

Hanging out with Valerie and my other friends were some of my best and happiest moments. Whenever I was down I would go to Mitchells to hang out with our group and play euchre and just hang out. After the accident I looked back and thought to myself. I realized that I didn’t fully cherish every moment with her and regret that deeply. That is one thing I learned from this tragedy, to love and to cherish every moment with people whom who love and keep close to your heart. Valerie was a great person and a great friend. I was so lucky to have her as a friend. She was an angel here and now is an angel watching over those she touched.



~ In Loving Memory of Valerie Van Avery