My Life with Diabetes | Teen Ink

My Life with Diabetes

September 21, 2013
By chaceman BRONZE, Fresno, California
chaceman BRONZE, Fresno, California
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Well having Diabetes isn’t as easy as you would think. First of all if you’re a beginner you start off having to do shots every time you eat. You have to watch what you eat. Before every meal or snack you have to test your blood sugar level/ blood glucose level. Its not fun to have Diabetes, it takes a long time to get used to it. Whenever you want juice or anything sugary you most likely can’t have it.

I should know, I am a Diabetic too. I’m sure you’re asking how did you find out that you had it? Aren’t you? Well I shall tell you. It all started when I was very little about two years nine months old. I was in Disneyland with my Papa Mark. We always went there, it was our thing. Well that particular time all was going fine the first couple of days, but then one day I was acting strange. What do I mean by strange, you ask? Well I was drinking a lot of water, every five minutes I would want water. Also every time we got to the front of a line, we would have to get out of line because I had to go to the restroom.

Well my Papa Mark realized that I was not acting normal. So he called my mom and she told him to take me back to Fresno. When we got to Fresno we all got into our car and drove to our doctor. They sent us out to Childrens hospital where they quickly admitted me. My blood glucose level was 600 ( normal levels are 80-120) so that was very bad. All the adults in my family had to go to a class to learn how to administer my insulin and everything about diabetes in general. Even my grandma Susie, because I go visit her a lot, so its important that she knows what to do. The first shot my mom gave me was very difficult, everyone cried. My mom went out to our front porch and cried, after I stopped crying I went out there and said “ mommy its okay.” Over the years I had to learn how to figure the dosages and test and give myself shots.

When I was about eight, I got an insulin pump. It is an electronic meter attached to a tube, which has a small needle on the end. The needle doesn’t stay in my body, it just places the tube that stays in my body. It must be changed every few days. This is the most painful part.
When you eat a meal or a snack when you’re on a pump you usually just enter how many carbohydrates you ate and then it gives you however much insulin you need. It’s a lot easier having a pump.

The first pump that I had worked for a while, but then it put me into DKA. What is DKA you ask? Well DKA is diabetic ketoacidosis. That means I had to go into the hospital for a couple of days, but after a while I was fine to leave.

Well now I am 12 years old so I know a lot about it. It has been hard on all of my family especially on me. I had the Medtronic pump, but I had to be taken off because my diabetes isn’t doing that well, but we are trying our best to get it under control. Right now this stage of my life is the hardest part to keep control of my diabetes. I thought that it was impossible to live with it, but I was wrong. I’m staying strong and fighting this disease. If I stop I will be practically be saying okay, I’m tired of trying so I’m waiting to die, but I will never do that. When it gets hard I will try harder. This disease slows me down, but I’ve learned that the harder I try the disease will stop trying to slow me down.

If I don’t keep trying to fight the disease then in the long run, it can really damage my body. Some things that it can do are that it can make me go blind, make me get some of my body parts amputated ( such as feet, toes, arms etc.) and can cause damage to my major organs ( such as my kidneys, and liver). So if you know anyone with this disease, never let them stop taking care of it. This a serious disease and I am serious about fighting it.

This is my story of my life with Diabetes.