Getting Locked Out of the House

August 28, 2013
A couple nights ago, I got locked out of the garage. Yes, that's right. The garage. It was cold outside and I was barefooted so it wasn't quite pleasant. Now I walk past it and always keep the door open, which is cold. I don't know why I'm finding this so worthy of writing but I guess I figure that it's different and it also was a learning experience for me.

It was 9:30 at night and I was hungry. I always get hungry at night, have been for the past year or so. Naturally, being as the yogurts are in a separate refrigerator in the garage, I went out there. And... When I turned back around, the door was locked. I kind of expected this because the lock have been locking and unlocking randomly ever since it was put in. But still, it did cross my mind that someone locked the door as a prank.

I told myself to be calm and think although I was freaking out. I had no idea what I was supposed to do so I tried to collect my thoughts.

Now, you might ask, where was the key? That's a good question. You're probably thinking, dear reader, that I didn't have one and that I was stupid for not having one. Wrong. At first, I didn't freak out at all because I thought, "The key. This is easy. I can unlock the door and I'll be fine." I looked precisely where I was told that the key was and they weren't there. I was screwed.

Then I really started to freak out. I banged on the doors over and over and over again and yelled as loud as I could but no one came. My dog started to bark, drowning out my yells, so I did it louder. I prayed our combination of noise would wake my parents up. But I tried to calm myself down and think a bit even though there didn't seem like there was anything I could do. I thought of how I could most comfortably settle on the cold, hard ground because it appeared that I was going to sleep there at night.

But wait, I thought, there has to be a way. And there was. If worst came to worst, I would put the combination in to open the garage door and ring the doorbell. I prayed that my parents' sleep wasn't that deep.

I didn't feel like going all the way out in the cold air with barely anything on so I decided one last try. I yelled, yelled, yelled and Sandy kept barking until I finally heard something of a response. I hoped that it wasn't my wishful imagination.

And sure enough, Mom came down.

"Thank God," I said.

She smiled and then she told me the story. She heard Sandy barking and didn't know why. She ignored it until Sandy persisted and then she got up to see if something was wrong (which was when she heard me). Basically, my dog (usually quite stupid, to be honest) saved me from a night in the cold.

Mom got Dad to come down to show us where the keys were and he showed us after all. Dad had moved the keys after all.

I make sure to bring my snacks upstairs now at night now.

Post a Comment

Be the first to comment on this article!

Site Feedback