Remeberence of the Holocaust | Teen Ink

Remeberence of the Holocaust

By Aishiah BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon
Aishiah BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon

Look past the errors; you may just find the irony within.
-Myself

“Nature is cruel; therefore we are also entitled to be cruel. When I send the flower of German youth into the steel hail of the war without feeling the slightest regret over the precious German blood that is being spilled, should I also not have the right to eliminate millions of an inferior race that multiply like vermin?” This is a quote by Hitler showing his true, cold nature and revealing the horrific crimes he has committed unto the Jewish race. There are many reasons as to why no one should ever forget the holocaust and later generations should be informed of the events that took place. Not only did Adolf Hitler destroy Jewish families and take innocent lives of those with Jewish heritage, but he also degraded the Jewish race.

During the Holocaust, the Germans took innocent Jewish people from their homes and placed them in horrible concentration and death camps where they were beaten and starved to death. The treatment of Jews in concentration camps was inhumane. From the point of being separated from families, Jews were transported in cattle cars, many of them not surviving to the final destination. The journey that the Jewish people had to undergo was completely and utterly disgraceful. Not only were these people forced to sleep in their own feces, but they only received a small portion of bread given to them at a stopping point.

When the Jewish people arrived the Nazis were nice to the Jews for a small period of time. Later on, they beat and in some cases raped the Jews. Life in the concentration camp was unlike anything the Jews could imagine. They believed that working would get them a ticket to their freedom. That is not what the Germans had in mind; in most cases, the workers worked themselves to death. All they had been given was bread containing sawdust, little water, and, in special circumstances, soup. Many of the children had become malnourished and did not survive in these camps. Some of the children weren’t even able to sleep with a member of their family, and some of the younger children were killed due to being unable to work.

When Jews were sent to the execution camps there were significant amounts of torture done upon them. They were beheaded, burned to death, shot, and even buried alive. Of those who survived the Holocaust, only a few were willing to share their stories. There have been many dedications to the Jewish people, but nothing can make up for what was lost. Remembering the Holocaust is important because it is a constant reminder of what the human race is capable of. To lose so much in so little time impacted the lives of everyone.

Many people would argue that the Holocaust is too sad to learn about. They could also argue that it had happened a decade ago and these future generations should focus their attention on the problems of today. The reason that we learn about the Holocaust is so that society will not repeat its actions and start another Holocaust or segregation.

Nature is cruel, but man does worst.