I Am What I Am

I am what I am. I am the holder of spider web see-through hands when I get nervous, even though there is nothing to be afraid of. I am a sailor who will only go out in fair weather, and is rather bad at sailing: so I am a capsizer. But I am good at righting the boat once it flips. I am what I am.

I am poor at math, (very poor at math, in fact if my math skills were a person they would probably be living under an overpass somewhere). And I really don’t care as long as I get a good grade in the class. I am what I am. I am a procrastinator who is very good at their craft. I am horrible at fashion, but I love clothes. I am what I am. I’m a believer that everybody gets a lifetime, what they do with it should be up to them. Because everybody is good for something. Even if all that something is, is converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. I am what I am. I am Irish, and German, and English, and probably a little Scottish too. This is the part where I should tell you that I have some strong heritage that I’m proud of, and no one can take that away from me, but I’m pretty much just white when it all comes down to it. I am what I am.

I’m highly critical of myself and I could probably sit here and write you a long list of things that I’m bad at. But a compliment doesn’t slide so easily off of my tongue, and I don’t know why. I am what I am.

I love to look at the stars at night, but I hate to go camping. Though I prefer the water to the ground just about any day. I like to sit on the heeled-over side of a boat, and dangle my feet in the water as waves go by. Splashing little droplets of water, each a thousand tiny diamonds onto my ankles. I bet I’d be a really fast runner if I liked to run. But I don’t, and most of the time I won’t unless I am being chased by a bear; then I’ll run. Otherwise I’ll walk. Running to me is like math, and I care for neither. I am what I am.

I like words better than numbers. There is only one number for ?, and one answer for 2+2, but there are a thousand ways to say happy. Like serendipitous, joyous, bright, cheery, and content. I like words, but I also like being brief. Why would you use twenty words when one will be sufficient? So I really have no idea how this piece got so long. Also I am a horrible speller and I figure the less words on the paper, the less can be misspelled. I am what I am.

I may know what I am, but who I am is a whole different writing assignment. Nobody can tell me who that is because I don’t really know myself. And if they tried I would take pity on them because I’m probably too stubborn to listen to them anyway.

Izzy777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 24, 2015 at 2:00 am
This is so beautiful (: I love the on going repetition of "i am who I am". So awesome. Anyone who reads this will smile and feel it in themselves that its okay to be everything they are.

Anna141 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! It has been so long since I wrote this piece it feels like an eternity!

hahawrites said...
This is a wonderful piece, I really enjoyed it. I felt like the repetition added to the piece and really helped drive home the point. I can really relate to this piece of work. Another lovely job.