A Day to Remember | Teen Ink

A Day to Remember

By Brisimond BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Brisimond BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

It was a dull October afternoon in 2011 as I got into my teammates car. I listened as she talked on the phone with her future coach at Drake University. They spoke about what was going on at their campus, work outs, and her future. I had a sense of jealousy wave over me as they talked on for the whole car ride. I wanted to talk with coaches about what was going on with me or better yet, I wanted them to want to talk to me although it was not legal until my junior year, I could not wait until the day. Then at that moment, my thoughts went into a whirlwind. As they proceeded to talk, I zoned it all out and wondered would I be that blessed a year from now? Doubt and hope wrestled back and forth in my head.

We arrived at our open gym and a rush excitement came over me. My mind cleared and I felt as if I was twelve years old again. I just wanted to go out there and play the game with no worries about anything. I loved this place more than anywhere in the world, the gym. To be here with friends and coaches and just compete is what I lived for.

As the night went on I played out of my mind and possibly the best I have ever 'til this day. The feeling was unlike any other I'd ever felt. Even though the stands were filled with college coaches, our coaches, and parents we were all just having fun. It was the last time the top players would see each other before the season started. Coming off of a successful AAU season for almost all of the Wisconsin teams it was a great atmosphere to be in where everyone loved everyone. We had been around each other all summer at the different tournaments and camps. There was nothing but respect in the gym with this group of girls. Bittersweet action for us all as we knew the season practices would begin next week. When the season starts everyone isn't the best of friends anymore simply because we can't be. Six long months of intense workouts, long days, and sore legs competing against each other to all get to the golden ball.

By the end of the night we were all around talking and packing up then I was called over by my club coach.

"You played great tonight and I would like to let you know you have just been offered a full scholarship to play at the division one Southern Illinois University." my coach explained.

"Wow....thank you for everything coach. YOU got me here," I said with enthusiasm.

"Your welcome Bri. This is just a result of your hard work; I told you it was coming soon."

"I really have no idea what to say. So, now what?"

He proceeded to say, "Just make sure you give the coach a call to thank her, the offer is available for you to take whenever you would like. I advise you to wait it out. You have many more to come, now go call your dad and tell him the great news."

I rushed to the hallway to call my dad. He answered and I tried to conceal the amazing emotion pouring out of me and said, "Hey dad," as casually as I possibly could.

"Sup Bri"

"Guess what news I have for you and mom"

"What is it,"

"Your daughter just got her first division I scholarship!"

"BRIONNA! WOW.....You are AWESOME!" he babbled on for awhile praising me but the irony in this is honestly, this was a reflection of everything he had ever taught me. My father and I imagined this day for years and I knew he was happier for me than I was.

It was unbelievable after my negative thoughts earlier in the day. All of the hard work and time invested in has finally paid off. I can say I will be able to go to college with no financial burden like most kids. All the money my parents spent in recent years I can say is paid back. It was nothing short of a blessing, a dream that I'd been chasing since early childhood was finally caught. When I got home the front door was already open with my parents there to greet me with eyes filled with tears of joy. The feeling was unlike any other.