Believe in Music | Teen Ink

Believe in Music

By TheyAllCallMeJoJo SILVER, Park City, Utah
TheyAllCallMeJoJo SILVER, Park City, Utah

"When I'm gone, just carry on. Don't mourn, rejoice! Every time you hear the sound of my voice. Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling and I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain. Just smile back..." - Eminem

I remember dancing around in just a t-shirt, pretending like I was the best dancer in the world. The song in the background was “Clocks” by Coldplay, and I remember I moved in such passion like I was going to become a miracle to the world. My drunk father sat on the couch, beer in his hand and his friends making conversation. I galloped and leaped across the carpet floor, my mind threw all the evil out, and took the music in.

It’s a memory I have when I was a little girl. So many things I don’t remember, but I can still hear the music in my head. I believe in music. More than I believe in anything. It’s been apart of me since I was born, I know it because I was always the one singing in the house. Through generation my family has always been talented in performing arts. I have seven uncles, who all play an instrument and are musically passionate. I think my grandparents have brought this talent upon me, because I know my parents are not in the slightest musically talented.

Growing up, there was a piano sitting in the living room at my grandparent’s house. Whenever my cousins and I got bored we would sit down at the piano and make up our own songs. Roman, my cousin made up this song when he was about seven years old. He played and I would sing his lyrics. I moved away to Moab, where my grandma lived. She had a perfect piano resting for years in her living room. It’s where I spent most of my time, making songs I knew weren’t any good, but I still tried to become something more. Something I discovered while living there was that I could listen to certain music, and find the same sound on the piano. I could listen to a song, and with good hearing I picked out the exact notes and played it. My mother exclaimed I had a gift.

Being seven years old, I wasn’t very ambitious, but I still had dreams and imagination. When I was living in Moab I wasn’t very interested in taking piano lessons, I tried it once and hated it because my teacher was a mean and grouchy old lady. The first time I became extremely interested in piano was when I visited my grandpa’s house in Park City. I was laying on the couch doing something entertaining with myself and my uncle Sam had sat down at the piano bench. He began playing this song, and the music was magnificent I had never heard anyone play the piano so well. I had never heard that song before but it was beautiful and made me think of all the happy things in life. And I remember perfectly, thinking that I wanted to play just like my uncle.

When I was twelve years old we moved back to Park City. We moved into my grandparent’s house but they don’t live there anymore but my uncle and aunt live there with their two kids. I went as a student at Ecker Hill Middle School. My mother signed me up for piano lessons the beginning of the year. Now I have been taking piano lessons for a year and a half. It is my passion. I love adding lyrics to my songs and learning pop songs I can play on the piano. I’ve tried learning a little of guitar, I know some of the chords but piano has been my priority.

I hope that someday I can be famous. Next year I am going to attend a Performing Arts School in Salt Lake City. My whole life, it has been about the arts. Drawing, singing, instruments, acting, writing. It is amazing to have that job where you can do what you love to do. Truly, it has been my life since the day I heard a song play. I may not be ambitious with school that much, or other things that may be more important, but to me it’s more important to make your dreams. Being two years old, I would say “I’m going to be on American Idol mom,” It is the little things that make up who we are. That is why I,

believe in music.

Music is my whole life.

on Mar. 13 2013 at 4:25 pm

I am so happy you can relate!

on Mar. 12 2013 at 9:26 am
Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

I can totally relate to this story! I listen to music, and then I play it on the piano, and sometimes on other instruments, and writing music is so much fun to me! You have put this passion into words, and it makes a great story.