Child of Ash | Teen Ink

Child of Ash

By Wizzerl BRONZE, APO, Other
Wizzerl BRONZE, APO, Other

"Nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone."- Matilda (movie)

When I lay in bed and wonder what brought me to now I fill up. I have so much sadness in me and so much joy. Wonder fills me next to anger. How strange that is. Sometimes with these thoughts I start to feel very sad. I think myself alone. Without a soul to speak to, to share my burdens that digs my feet into the ground beneath. Until the stone ebbs and my bones crack with the effort. Tears come that I thought I was too strong to have. Yet there you are. All at once with eyes alight with something I still don’t understand. You help with my burdens. You sit and listen and speak words that I have wished to hear for so long. And now as I lay awake, waiting for sleep to take me, I don’t feel so alone. I no longer feel like a pillar of glass, ready to shatter with the simplest tap. But I am no longer stone either. Stone is too hard, too unfeeling for me any longer. I know understand people…at least to an extent. I have learned to be kind and gentle. I am a new person, a being born of ash. Who ever knew that something so dead could make me feel so alive?

This is a continuation of a poem I had written called 'Pillar of Glass'