The wait is over | Teen Ink

The wait is over

By Audre BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Audre BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

“Please welcome Audre Greer! Representing the Alpine Skating club!”
I took the ice as people cheered wildly until I got to my starting position. This was a compulsory competition so there would be no music. This is going to be awkward, I thought. It was always the same, the same drill. I knew everything about it. I knew one thing for a fact: this is a performance I have to do at every competition I have ever been to. Skaters always had half the ice separated by cones. There would be another girl doing the same routine, but she or he was always in a whole different event.

Suddenly The lady said “You may begin,” with a loud, and strong voice on the microphone. I began swooshing in all directions, all leading up to the axel. I bent my knees and spun. My eyes couldn’t see the spinning world. I thought my eyes were closed anyway. BAM I nailed it and I executed everything in my performance perfectly. It ended as soon as it started. I was only allowed one minute and thirty seconds to complete moves. This is no joke. You can be deducted or even disqualified for not ending on time. How do they tell you, well a huge horn goes off halting you and, informing you of the shattering truth. Not today. I smiled as I skidded to a stop and turned and bowed. I was very pleased with my performance, and I was happy.

I had spent months and months just like the other girls my age. We all got unbelievably frustrated with our performance. We all shared misfortune, the same tears, the same screams, but today we were all here to win the same game. I was about to go insane from the horrible wait. I bit my lip and chewed my nails as I waited by the place where our results would be hung. I crossed my fingers and looked at the ceiling. Please. It was a ritual of mine: Whenever I went into my double jumps I would cross my fingers. It gave me hope that I would land that jump or complete a spin perfectly. If I didn't I would sometimes sit in the hockey boxes and look up at the ceiling and say, Please. It’s amazing how much I have overcome.
“ Audre!” My dad shouted.
“ What?” I replied. My dad came running,
“ you did great I am so proud of you! I smiled,
“ Thanks dad.” My mom and dad stood with me,for the long excruciating wait, for the results. All the while, were my fingers crossed. All the other girls were waiting too and we all were getting tired of standing the girls started to lean and fall to the ground to rest.

Then all I see is a little girl speed walking down the hall in a bright yellow vest. THIS IS IT!!! I thought. I squeezed my fingers together tighter than ever. I closed my eyes and I breathed the largest breath I ever had.
The little girl stood on her tippy toes and struggled to reached up and tape the results due to her height. All of the girls sprinted to the paper like their life depended on it. I was the last to get there.

Someone I didn’t know the name of got to the front and looked first. She smiled and walked away proud. The next girl stepped out, and the other 3 crowded around to see their place. they slowly walked away. They all seem so happy. Why are they happy. I looked at the ceiling, and then at my feet. With hope still in my eyes and my fingers I looked up to see the first name on top. My eyes stared at the paper seeing the first name on the paper was my very own. Audre Greer. I smiled. I wanted to hug the paper. I turned around, and I smiled as wide as I could. I ran to my parents.
“ I GOT FIRST PLACE!” I hopped up and down and let my hand unwind. I looked at my hand and then the ceiling. Thank you.

All the emotion rushed throughout, my whole body. I swung my arms around my mom and I hugged her so tight she yelped. I turned to my dad, and I laughed. The room felt like I was finishing my performance where you throw your fists in the air and scream “yes!” I turned to the sheet that had what I was looking for, for years. as I looked at lt electricity passed through me and heightened my senses.Nothing else matterd. I ran to Karen my coach and held up my hand in the shape of a one. She smiled and clapped her hands. She pointed down the hall where the girls and I would get our medal and our picture taken. I smiled and started walking down the hall. Then something hit me, a memory.

I was back at a completely different competition, and I had been waiting for results. I looked over and saw Ella. One of my best friends who I skated with. I remembered that this was the last competition I competed against and with Kaitlynne, and the last one where we were friends. I turned around and saw the little girl in the bright orange vest pin up the results. Ella was the first to see as she jumped high in the air, looked directly into my eyes and held up her fingers in the shape of a one. I started to lose hope, but then realized that this always happens. All I could do was smile and look at the results. Last place. I was always last, and I didn't want to go to rewards. I just wanted to go home. Everyone is better than me. I work the hardest and nothing pays off. Ella always wins and I always lose. maybe this is how its always going to be. I zoomed out of my day dream, realising it was a nightmare.

“No” I muttered, this feeling is no more. I have the right to get my glory too. I've gotten so much hate in the skating world, and its always hard for me because i'm the only one there who is of colour. Skating for me is always a challenge, but not today!!

I smiled at my dad, “ I did it!”
I walked down the hall, and wanted to get my winning medal. I was the first one to get there. I told the lady I was Audre, and she checked me off. I sat down in a chair waiting for the other girls to arrive. As soon as they did she called us name by name to come up. She called me, and I stood I stepped up past the 2nd and 3rd places, and took first. Being taller than everyone. I just knew that I did the best. My knees started to shake. I had no idea what it felt like to be on the top. I couldn't believe it. Everyone was in their positions for the picture. Then the lady said in 5th we have... And give them their medal and all the way up to. “ And in first place we have a ms. Audre Greer. People clapped. I bent in half to get my medal. After that we all smiled. Of course I could have smiled for hours. I looked down and saw my mom, dad, and my coach.

Thanks Karen, without you I wouldn’t be here on this podium. I wouldn’t be on the top. She was the one that pushed me and gave me the strength to be my best and have a great time in the process. This was my first time getting a first place. All along I was waiting for this happiness. Because their is always a nasty storm before a beautiful rainbow.