Singn' in the Rain

“You can never have too much butter!” I laughed as Julia Child threw a whole stick of frothy yellow butter into a cast iron frying pan; I reached into the popcorn bowl and popped a few pieces of popcorn into my mouth. I looked down at my hand and noticed the little flakes of salt sticking to my fingers. Ignoring all prior warning I licked the salt off of my fingers. I could practically hear Claire's voice shouting "Maria, you are going to have a heart attack if you keep doing that!"

“Mom, I think I am going to go make some tea.”

“Okay, do you want me to pause the movie for you?”

“Nah, I’ve seen it a million times before, I’m fine.”

I walked into the dark kitchen and noticed the ever-lingering aroma of popcorn. I’m not too sure is Julia Child is right in her butter theory; because I am not almost positive that the popcorn had way too much butter on it. I reached into the cupboard and pulled out my favorite heart warming Echinacea tea. It’s like Christmas in a cup. As I boiled the water I pulled out some honey and cream. Once my water was ready I dropped the tea bag in and watched it bob to the surface. I love watching the brilliant colors burst from the tea bag and swirl around in the steaming water. I stirred my tea and threw the teaspoon into the sink. Out of habit I checked my reflection in the window above the sink. Once I was satisfied with my hair I flipped off the lights and shuffled into the living room, trying my hardest not to scold my skin with tea.

As I entered the living room I noticed that my mom wasn’t there anymore, but the movie was still playing. At first I thought she was on the phone for work but she wasn’t in her office. So I started to search around the house, but I just could not find her. So many possibilities drifted through my head about where she may be. Suddenly I spotted her sitting on the front porch. I set my tea down on a wooden side table making sure not to leave a watermark. I swung open the front door and sat down next to my mom.

“It’s fun to watch the rain isn’t it?” my mom questioned.

“Yeah, sometimes.” I said. “I remember when I used to run around in the rain when I was little. I had those cute little ladybug rain boots and matching rain coat.”

“Yeah, I remember that, you were such a cute little kid.”

“I kind of wish that I could still do that, and hey I am still super cute!”

“You can still do that, and yes you are still cute.” my mom said as she chuckled.

“Really, I can?”

“Sure, why not, go ahead.”

Once my mom said that I could go run in the rain I immediately sprang off the porch and ran right into the middle of the driveway. But then my wonderful little brain happened to remember that if I were to be struck by lightning it would really hurt and probably kill me; as soon as I remembered that I ran right back to the porch.

“What are you doing?” asked my mother.

“I really don’t feel like getting struck by lightning!” I exclaimed.

“Maria, you are not going to be struck by lightning!” said my mother sounding very sure of her self.

“Well you never know, do you want me to die? Because if I do it will be your entire fault!” I sang playfully.

“No, I don’t want you to die, just go back out there!” my mom said with a smile on her face.

“Fine, but take my ring, I don’t want the lightning to be attracted to it and strike me.”

“Okay” my mother sighed as I handed her my Claddagh. I slowly inched back onto the driveway. Jumping every time I saw lightning. But as the seconds past I became surer that I was going to live. I took a deep breath and lifted my face up to the night sky. I was reminded of just how much I love rain. I twirl around and around. I took the rubber band out of my hair and let my dark brown curls fall gently down my back. I looked down at my perfectly painted purple toes and decide that I should jump in some puddles.

I sprinted to the street and jumped in the puddle at the end of my driveway. I skipped up and down the street spinning and twirling stopping every now and then to stomp in a puddle. I paused for a moment and watched how the street lamp illuminated the little raindrops falling from the pitch-black sky. I ran and ran feeling as free as a bird. One thing that I love to do is run with no shoes on, and that is even better in the rain. Even though the last time I ran without shoes on i ended up with poison ivy. Once I had tired myself out I practically floated back inside feeling refreshed and calm.

As I changed into dry pajamas and brushed out my now soggy and tangled hair I realized it is important to appreciate the little things in life that make you smile. No matter how simple it may be. I learned to never take life too seriously and to love the life you live. You never know what will happen tomorrow, so be glad for today.