Chipped | Teen Ink

Chipped

By Kristen Calderoni SILVER, Newark, New Jersey
Kristen Calderoni SILVER, Newark, New Jersey

I pulled into my dentist’s parking lot and pulled into the first spot I saw. Having my permit is awesome and I just got it last week. What stinks about it though is having my mom telling me how to drive. Such as slowing down, hit the brake, to stay close to the yellow line, and to not hit the railings.

“Now that wasn’t so hard, right?” My mom asked me as I shut the car off.

“Yeah, except for the yelling at me to stay close to the yellow line and to slow down. It’s nine AM and remember I only woke up thirty minutes ago and I’m tired.” I said wiping my eyes and yawning.

“Yeah, yeah let’s just get that tooth fixed then you can go back home and sleep all you want.” She said as we both got out of her car heading into my dentist’s office. I signed my name on the sheet and sat down in the chair and waited. This is the third time I am getting my front tooth fixed again. It really does stink. I have to bite food on my side teeth instead of my front teeth. I still remember the day that this all happened and reliving it, is just horrible.

It was a cold winter night and I was about seven years old when it happened. My older brother Kenny is a witness too. We use to have a little swing set in our backyard which had two swings, a little bar you can hold on to, and a slide. It just snowed about two inches that day and at night we decided to go play in the snow. My mom helped us get into our snow suits and we headed outside. We built a snowman, had a snow ball fight and made snow angels like any other little kid would when it would snow. We both got bored so we decided to go play on our swing set. I was swinging on one of the swings and my brother decided to make a wall around the swing set. I helped him out and it took a very long time to make. When we were done we were both very tired and it was getting later out.

“Guys not too much longer outside you can get sick!” My mom called poking her head outside the door.

“Okay!” We both replied. My brother got this look on his face and decided to climb up the slide, instead of climbing the stairs to get to the top of the slide. He slid down the slide and collided into the wall, and I don’t know why but it was so much fun to him.

“Kristen you have to try it! It’s so much fun!” He said doing it again. I climbed up the slide like how Kenny did, but it was the worst thing I could ever do. The slide was very slippery and I fell head first on the slide a hit my mouth on the slide. I fell and couldn’t feel my mouth for a couple seconds. I then noticed that I was missing a piece of my tooth in my mouth. I looked at my glove and my mouth was bleeding like crazy. I ran inside and screamed for my mom. She came running in and the first thing she did was get me out of my snow suit, bring me into the kitchen and get me a paper towel with ice in the towel to numb my tooth. She then called my Grandma and began to panic. While this was happening my brother was still out in the snow trying to find the piece of my missing tooth because he felt like it was his fault. It was not it was me being clumsy as usual. My Grandma told my mom to make an appointment for the dentist first thing in the morning. My mom did as she said and I had to go to the dentist at nine am.

The next day it felt so weird not having half of my tooth in my mouth. The piece of tooth that broke off was still growing in at the time so it was half of an adult tooth. My dentist asked me what happened and I told him. He told me not to worry; he’d fix my tooth in no time. My dentist and his assistant first had to make the new fake tooth and take x-rays of my tooth to see what they were working with. After setting that up, they did whatever they had to do to fix it. They gave me the shot that numbed the pain so I wouldn’t feel them working on my tooth but I still did. When they were done, it felt a little weird at first because my tooth was very smooth. My dentist told me to be very careful with that tooth and not bite with it. I had to adapt to biting food on the side of my mouth. I knew it was going to be a very hard thing to do.

“Thank you so much for fixing my tooth… again.” I said to my dentist with a smile.

“No problem, now if it still feels weird come back and I will fix it... again.” He said smiling back. I left the room and it felt so much better that my tooth was fixed. It felt like it was going to break any day, but I caught it right in time before it broke off. So my dentist just fixed the back part of it and made it stronger. It feels much better now; I brought my mom in so she could talk to him real quick. Before we knew it, we were off on our way.

“Feel better now?” She asked me as she started the car.

“Yes, now drive home fast so I can go back to bed.” I said, she smiled at me and we headed back home.