Soccer Practice | Teen Ink

Soccer Practice

I’ve always enjoyed the feeling of running, dribbling the ball, and trying to score a goal. It was the summer of 2012 and I was eager because I was going to join one of my favorite sports. When summer started, I soon forgot about joining the sport because the first practice started around August.

It was the last month of summer and soccer practice was soon about to starting. I had searched online for soccer cleats and shin guards. After my cleats and shin guards arrived home, I was ready for soccer. I learned from the soccer sheet there was going to be two practices every day, for the first three days and we had to practice for an hour and 30 minutes.

August 6, the first day of practice and I told myself I was ready. When I arrived there I saw one of my friends heading to soccer practice. We chatted and wondered what soccer practice would be like since we were never in soccer before. When we got there Rosanne, the woman who helps the coaches, was calling everyone’s name to see if we present. Right as I arrived there she called my name and I said, “Here.”

As soon as she called everyone’s name she told us to get ready and we’ll begin practice. Practice was horrible, we ran and ran and ran for the ten minutes. Then we got in a circle and had to pass a ball and when we passed the ball, we went to the next person and pass another ball, I wasn’t in shape for this. The coach told us we could go get a water break. “Finally,” I cried. I went to the soft grass and drank my water bottle. It felt great, the water splashing on my face. I soon drank it all and realized there was another hour of practiced left.

Practiced was done, I walked away from the soccer field, exhausted, “Finally, it’s over,” I told myself. Smelling the fresh cut grass made me feel a little better. I saw my mom waiting for me in the car. Right when I got in the car my mom questioned, “How was practice?” Looking at my mom straight in the eye I told her, “It was bad, why did I have to join a sport!” My mom laughed, telling me it was better seeing me in a sport than staying indoors. I was about to argue with her, telling her I wanted to quit soccer but I heard my stomach growl. I ask if we could get something to eat, but my mom told me I had to stay in soccer, if I wanted to get something to eat. As hungry and tired as I was, I knew she had won the argument.

After getting my sandwich and heading inside my house, my mom told me she’ll see me later. “What?” I questioned her, but I remembered that I had two practices every day. Right when I stumbled in my room I took a shower and went to bed. I woke up hearing the sounds of an annoying ringing. I was still sleepy, but I looked for the phone anyway. I founded the phone under my bed and pick up. “Hello?” I yawned. “Hi Ryan, I’m going to pick you up in a few minutes,” my mom mentioned and hung up. “What!?” I questioned, but I remembered I had to go back to practice.

My mom picked me up and drove me to practice. I got out of the car and knew I was late. I saw everyone getting ready and was heading to the field. I got ready as fast as I could and ran to practices. I did the warm ups with everyone and finished stretching. When everyone was done, the coach came and looked at us and yelled, “Prepare to do a killer everyone!” I was puzzled I looked at my friends and asked, “Hey what’s a killer?” They told me it was torture.

When we were done running the killer I was exhausted, it felt like I ran a marathon. I knew I shouldn’t had join soccer, I wasn’t in shape, I didn’t like the practices, and I only knew a few people. The thought of wanting to quit soccer came to my mind, I wanted to quit badly. The more I suffered in soccer, the more I wanted to quit.

The next day wasn’t as bad as I thought, we stretched and did our warm ups and practiced our shooting and passing. We were separated in two groups the varsity and the jv. I was with the jv, but I didn’t mind because my friends told me jv was more fun. After thirty minutes of practicing our shooting and passing, the coach decided to play scrimmage. “Yes,” I told myself, we actually get to have fun.
He gave half of the team pink shirts to know who was on whose team. As soon as the game started one of my teammates stole the ball from the other team and dribbled across the field. I headed to the right end field and as soon as my teammate saw me and he passed the ball. I was nervous, I was hoping I didn’t fail to get the ball. As the ball hit the ground and I used my foot to gain control of the ball and started dribbling the ball a little closer to the net. I saw my chance to get it in and kicked the ball as hard as I could. The ball flew to net, the goalie looked ready, but was too slow to catch the ball.

Excitement burst from my teammates, cheering me on to go score another goal. After scoring 2 more goals practice was over and I headed to my mom's car, I got in and she asked if practice was good today. "It was great today,” but I told her, but I told her I still wanted to quit.
So a questioned came to my mind after the incredible day of soccer practiced. Would you give up on doing something you enjoy just because there was something that prevented you to like it?

Josiah Coutts, Melbourne, Other
but other than that

Josiah Coutts, Melbourne, Other
Alright but work on your grammar

lachlan bell said...
lachlan bell, Yarrawonga, California
you should really work on your grammar but other than that

KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

This is very good. However, there are several grammar issues you are going to want to take a loook at. Maybe you should ask a teacher or parent to edit it for you? Overall, however, I enjoyed your story. Maybe you want to read some of mine? --KnitsAndPurls