A Brave Soldier's Goodbye | Teen Ink

A Brave Soldier's Goodbye

By AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico
AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe

I watched her as she slept peacefully, wondering what it was that she was dreaming of. I stroked her face gently, and then she woke up, "Daddy, what are you doing?" I tried to hold back the tears as I spoke, "Nothing sweetie, just watching you sleep. You know daddy's going away tomorrow right?" She said with excitement, "Yeah, you’re going to protect our country!" At this point, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. I always prepared myself for this day, but when it actually came it was much more than I expected. I said with tears running down my face,"That’s right, and we must be brave soldiers right?" She said, with hope in her voice, "That’s right!" I hugged her as tight as I could, she looked at me and as she wipes my tears away she told me, "No tears! We must be brave soldier’s daddy!" "Right baby, now go back sleep now okay… I love you". "I love you too daddy!" She lied back down in bed and I gave her teddy bear. I got up and began to leave, holding back my tears, remembering that I must be a brave soldier, for my little girl.