A Brave Soldier's Goodbye | Teen Ink

A Brave Soldier's Goodbye

November 15, 2012
By AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico
AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe


I watched her as she slept peacefully, wondering what it was that she was dreaming of. I stroked her face gently, and then she woke up, "Daddy, what are you doing?" I tried to hold back the tears as I spoke, "Nothing sweetie, just watching you sleep. You know daddy's going away tomorrow right?" She said with excitement, "Yeah, you’re going to protect our country!" At this point, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. I always prepared myself for this day, but when it actually came it was much more than I expected. I said with tears running down my face,"That’s right, and we must be brave soldiers right?" She said, with hope in her voice, "That’s right!" I hugged her as tight as I could, she looked at me and as she wipes my tears away she told me, "No tears! We must be brave soldier’s daddy!" "Right baby, now go back sleep now okay… I love you". "I love you too daddy!" She lied back down in bed and I gave her teddy bear. I got up and began to leave, holding back my tears, remembering that I must be a brave soldier, for my little girl.