Two Tears | Teen Ink

Two Tears

By monalisa3479 SILVER, La Canada, California
monalisa3479 SILVER, La Canada, California

“Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself.”
― John Green

It was early in the morning, the sun not quite peeking through the cracks of my curtains, when I heard the worried murmuring of my parents, quiet but defined, outside my bedroom door. I blinked numerous times, to make sure I was not dreaming. I was a "big girl" now, they wouldn't like it if I awoke again to some nightmare. My socks had somehow thrown themselves off my feet overnight; I could never make them stay. I leaned forward to retrieve my missing sock, and suddenly, my bed made a wrenching squeak and my mother opened the door. I could see her face, but her expression was not of concern for me. Tears streamed down her cheeks and I tilted my head in enquiry. My mother bit her lip and cradled me in her arms, gentle but firm. The air seemed cold that morning, full of panic . . . a strange sadness I could not comprehend. I glanced at the television set far beyond my reach as a toddler. There I saw two tall buildings, falling. My mother wept.

I hope you enjoy my work, thanks for reading!