Coming for Summer | Teen Ink

Coming for Summer

By mel B BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
mel B BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

As we pull up the long, pine-covered, dirt road I know we are close. Close to the place where my best friends are waiting. Close to the place where we can go boat swimming. Close to the house that means summer. The road is made up of many bumps and hills and it feels like we’re on a roller coaster.

“We’re here!” My mom declares. I look at the seemingly small house that is succumbed by the large pine trees that make up the Adirondacks. I think about how much this feels like home. The magenta colored shudders against the once white house, now stained with dirt, make the abode look friendly and inviting. I try to open the car door, but it’s locked, so instead I wonder how winter is here and how fun it would be to live here. The door of my mom’s Subaru clicks, indicating that the door has been unlocked. I leap out, running as fast as I can down the weathered path. I trip on one of the abstract stones and fall to the orange carpet of pine needles. I stand up immediately and start running to the door, almost slamming against it. I hold the gold door knob and twist it.

I finally see my family friends sitting and laughing at the long wooden table. They are eating sandwiches and I know this is going to be fun. I run to the back family room and then scamper back. “When can we go in the water?” I inquire. The room fills with sounds of laughter.

“When we get unpacked,” my mom replies sweetly. Before I can say another word I am greeted by the hugs and kisses of my ‘uncles’ and ‘aunts’. Charlie and John worm their way through the grown ups and drag me out of the crowd and to the porch. I could tell they were happy to see me because when I walked in their eyes lit up with joy.

They drag me all the way down to the long wooden dock. I haven’t seen this sight since last year! The lake sparkles as it softly sloshes against the rocks when a boat goes past. I look down into the clear water and can see all the way below to the soft mushy sand. “The water is so good today. We went in this morning,” Charlie proudly explains.

“I wish I could go in, but I don’t have my bathing suit on,” I confess disappointedly. I was going to put it on, but I didn’t want to wear it in the car.

“Thats okay. Just put your feet in. You can change later,” John says. I walk to the end of the dock and put my feet in. I smile as the cool, crystal water laps against my legs. I gaze into the water and a sunny swims just below my feet. I watch it swim as it goes deeper until it eventually swims away. I laugh and John and Charlie give me a confused glance. I can’t let them know how happy this makes me feel so, I just shake my head and say that we have to go fishing soon. They agree and we run up the path together racing to see who gets to the top first.

on Nov. 25 2012 at 12:01 am
I loved this! It reminded me so much of my childhood. I like the details you put into this. It gave me hills just reading it.