Music | Teen Ink

Music

Music
As I sit in the back row of our old church building, I watch my uncle walk up to the front. It is a hot summer day and it was roasting inside. I watch him pick up his trombone and am very curious about how it works. I was eager to see how he plays. Then he begins to play. I watch and listen closely. I liked the sound it made.
After that day, I was wondering if I could learn to play a trombone. For about two or three years I had been hoping that I would be able to get one. Finally when I was about eight or nine years old, my parents took me to a music store. At this age, I did not know what trombone was called. I thought that it was called a trumpet. So my parents asked the person at the music store to see a trumpet. The man went into the back and came back with a case. I was excited as he opened the case. He took out the trumpet and showed it to me. Even though it wasn’t a trombone, I wanted to learn how to play it. So my parents purchased it and we went home. When we got home, I went up to my room and opened the case. I put the mouthpiece in and blew into it. I could make sound! Then I played with the valves as I blew into it. I was surprised that I could play some notes.
When school started, my mom arranged lessons with a music director. He taught me how to play the trumpet well. I enjoyed going to lessons and learning something new and becoming a better player. Now I could play music at church.
At this time my school didn’t have a band. So when I switched schools, I wanted to be in the band. I soon learned that playing in the band was very different from playing alone. But I still enjoyed it. Band class soon became my favorite time of day. When I got into high school, I started to play the French Horn. Since I love to play music, I can currently play five different instruments, including the trumpet, organ, and French Horn. I enjoy playing all these instruments.