Kentucky Basketball | Teen Ink

Kentucky Basketball

By Dylan34 BRONZE, LeRoy, Michigan
Dylan34 BRONZE, LeRoy, Michigan

Kentucky Basketball
Basketball. The Greatest sport ever! The best part about basketball? The University of Kentucky Wildcats! My love for Kentucky basketball started about three years ago; and I have been hooked ever since!

I was sitting in my living room watching Sportscenter on a normal winter afternoon when the highlights of Kentucky’s first game of the season came on. I was in awe while watching the 30 second highlight of the amazing game! The score ended up being something like 127-63 in Kentucky’s favor… and if you have 34% of a brain then you would know that Kentucky destroyed the opposing team! It was then that I knew I had to actually watch them play!

A few days later, I saw Kentucky was playing, so I quickly clicked the game on, and boy am I glad that I did! The fans were on their feet the entire game screaming and yelling! They would chant things like “GO BIG BLUE!!” Kentucky ended up winning big again! The game was extremely exciting; it was practically a dunk contest!

I then decided to research the players more, and watch every game that I could. I discovered that the starters that year were John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, Demarcus Cousins, and Daniel Orton; and they were amazing! They played great together, and the coolest part was that they were all freshmen! I had never seen such talent at such a young age before. I couldn’t believe how well they all got along. It was like they had been playing together for their whole life!

I was bewildered; that is for sure. After a bit more research I found that John Calipari was the genius behind this master plan. Here is how it works: Coach Calipari recruits like a mad man to get the best young players in the country, then they come to Kentucky and play for one or two years, then go into the NBA! Nobody really knows how Coach Calipari makes the team get along so well, but whatever he does… it works!!

That year the Wildcats made it all the way to the Elite Eight, where sadly they lost to West Virginia. The next year they made it even farther with the help of their star freshman point guard Brandon Knight. They made it to the Final Four, before losing to the eventual champion UConn. This past year, the Kentucky Wildcats made it all the way, winning it all against Kansas! The starters for the championship team were Marquis Teague (freshman), Doron Lamb (sophomore), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (freshman), Terence Jones (sophomore), and Anthony Davis (freshman). All five of these starters and the sixth man of the team, Darius Miller, went into the NBA Draft and got drafted in the first and second round! Setting the record for most players from the same team getting drafted in the same year!

Ever since I first saw that 30 second highlight on Sportscenter, I have been in love. Kentucky is by far my favorite team, and they always will be! I am very excited to see them play next year; and I hope they can win another championship!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!

I love this memoir...