Taylor Gang | Teen Ink

Taylor Gang

People judge, everyday. Judgement is natural, not always something you are taught, just something many do. You are always judging people weather you know it or not. It's funny when you judge someone in a bad way, only later to become close to the very person you misjudged.

I still remember the time I was a Freshman at Luther Burbank. I was not only judging my peers, but also my teachers. The strangest teacher to me, was my 6th period teacher Mr. Taylor. On the first day of class I walked in, and immediately thought he was a strange man. He was a tall Caucasian male who wore khaki pants with a tucked in collared shirt. He stood with a wide smile on his face and said, "What's your name?"

"Khiara," was my response. Smile still on his face, he pointed out my seat. The whole while I was thinking, this man is too excited.

I walked to my seat and remember someone mentioning he looked loving and fatherly. I looked at them like they were crazy. It was another student who gave a more accurate description stating he looked like a child molester. It was so funny to me at the time, because I could so see him being one. Throughout the beginning of the year he was still weird to me. However, I started to warm up to him. We learned about his hobbies, and him as a person. This is when he started to become a human to me. Right when I started to like him as a person, he showed us a video he made for our class. In the video he was playing on a play structure going in circles repeating, "And around." I couldn't help but laugh, and think the crazy man from the first day is back.

It wasn't until the middle of the school year, that I had complete respect for "Taylor Gang," as I now called him. I think what I like the most was he was a good teacher. He made sure he knew what he was teaching, and made it easy for you to understand. He didn't give you an option to fail.

As I reflect on this event, I realize Mr. Taylor was one of my coolest teachers that year. He was a hard worker, and had a true passion for his job. He isn't creepy, and would never hurt a fly, let alone a child. He taught a lot of valuable things, and made me fall in love with science. Taylor Gang is an amazing teacher. I'm very fortunate to have had him, and feel wrong to this day for misjudging him.

I hope kids will understand not to judge a book by it's cover. That what is on the inside matters more then the out. I also, want them to see that it is easy to make a wrong assumption about someone, and that you can judge teachers to. After all , we are all humans.

Khiat2pretty SILVER, Sacramento, California

"I wish my life is a video game so everyday I could push restart." -Jeremiah
Botley

That is exactly what i was trying to get at thanks for the support you guys. :)

Botley

I know , and then when you make the wrong judgement it makes you feel like a bad person. It just is so natural it scares me sometimes.

D Gilmore said...
I like your theme. All of us go through life making judgments. It takes maturity to recognize that it is time to change your opinion or adapt to new information.

jj77 said...
I love this.  This piece reminds that even though I do judge books by their cover, that is not the only part of the book I should judge.