Burning Candle | Teen Ink

Burning Candle

When I was in 4th grade I sat next to a very shy and quiet girl; her name was Ashley Huss. I didn’t really like her that much then because she would always cheat off of my math quizzes. One day though we just started talking and we got along a lot better than I thought we would. We started hanging out all the time and became very close. That was the beginning of a friendship that has never faded.

Ashley has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. And throughout the years we have had tons of fun together, but there are always times when things go bad.

I remember the horrible day of May 19, 2011 like it was yesterday. And as her best friend I knew I had to be there for her. I woke up from a deep sleep at 5:15 in the morning. I looked at my phone. I had a text message which was strange because I had checked it before I went to sleep the night before. So I knew it had to have been sent to me early that morning. It was a text from Ashley asking me to tell our coach, Mr. Dontjie, she wouldn’t be at school that day. My stomach dropped and my heart started racing. I knew this day was coming, but I never imagined so soon. I felt like my heart was going to leap out of my chest as I hit the reply button and typed, “Why” in a panic. I sat up in my bed not understanding what was happening. She replied back with six words that are still clear in my mind today; my dad passed away last night. Tears sprang to my eyes and I burst out of my room. I ran to the living room to tell my mom. She asked me what was wrong and I remember not being able to say the words. I finally said it and it didn’t seem real. I didn’t understand why this had to happen to her. That day at school was the longest day of my life. I just wanted to give her the biggest hug in the world and take away the pain that I knew was going to be in her heart forever.

I can’t imagine my dad being taken away from me like that. Ashley was so strong through it all. Stronger than I think I would have been. She is one of the bravest people I know. I look up to her so much for that.

Best friends, of course, have their share of fights. It kills me so much to fight with her. Somehow though when we fight and I think I will never forgive her, we both break down our walls and end up talking to each other. Within a few seconds it’s like we were never mad at each other.

Ashley is one of the many people that significantly influence my life. I cannot imagine a life without her. I picture our friendship like a never ending burning candle. The flame may sway in the wind and almost go out, but somehow it will always burn strong forever.