Friendless | Teen Ink

Friendless

By cathylathy101 SILVER, Tustin, Michigan
cathylathy101 SILVER, Tustin, Michigan

*The past. It's done, it's unchangeable move on.
*Be strong now because things will get better, it might be stormy now but it can't rain forever.

Laughing every day, at lunch, with my favorite people, my friends. Now it’s just a distant memory burned into the back of my brain.

I walked into the cafeteria, sulking with my head, scanning for an empty spot. I find one by the window. It was a dark and gloomy day, just as I was feeling. I opened my lunch pale and began shuffling through it. Then a memory suddenly hits me and I was transferred back to a day when I was with my friends. I was sitting at my regular table with my friends. I was getting frustrated with myself and the pudding I was trying to open.

I complained out loud saying “why can’t I get this stupid thing open?”

Finally Ashley said, “Give it here.”

I sighed giving up and tossed it over to her. Ashley was my lifesaver. When it came to my lack of opening things Ashley was my girl. I swear that anything you put in front of her she could open it.

As quickly as the memory came it left that way too, leaving me feeling sad and alone. I finally put my pudding down. I felt an ach in my heart that slowly spread across my chest. I have a longing to be with them, like I need to be with them.

I looked over at them, a few tables down. All my friends were laughing at some lame thing, like they always do. I don’t know why I torture myself by looking at them. I just wished I was laughing with them.

I have never been friendless. I’ve been through bunches friends, but I’ve never been alone. I have never sat by myself at lunch; I’ve never been partner less during partner working on worksheets.

I wished I had figured out sooner that they weren’t true friends. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt so badly now. I have now learned my lesson. I should be more careful of whom I let in. I shouldn’t trust just anyone, and I should get to know the person better than just assume that they are my real friend.